Multiple Floors. Range of Telo Handset?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Emily

Multiple Floors. Range of Telo Handset?

Post by Emily » Thu May 12, 2011 9:10 am

I'm considering getting a Telo as a gift for a family member, but first want to figure out the setup, as the person lives on two floors of a solid old brick house.

For those of you who have a Telo Handset, how good have you found the range/reception to be? I'm trying to figure out if this would be sufficient so that the phone would ring and be answerable on the second floor. I do think this might be possible, given the fact that Apple WiFi from the first floor manages to reach the second floor pretty well, despite the building's solid construction.

Would the alternative, a Scout, even be possible, given that the person no longer has a phone-company landline (just cable company phone service, which the Ooma would be replacing)?

Thanks.

ajw522

Re: Multiple Floors. Range of Telo Handset?

Post by ajw522 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:07 am

The Ooma Telo Handset range has been quite good for me. I live in a two story home as well, and, while not made of solid brick, if the Telo is on the second floor, I can go outside of the home, and the signal reaches pretty far, through multiple walls and stucco exterior. Going in between floors should work just fine.

And no, Scouts are not compatible with the Ooma Telo. They are only compatible with the older-model Ooma Hub.
Customer since August 2009
Hardware: Core Telo w/ HD2 Handset;2 ooma Hubs
Lifetime Premier Subscription
iPhone 7 Plus w/Ooma Mobile App
Internet: AT&T U-Verse 50Mbps

Emily

Post by Emily » Thu May 12, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks. That sounds promising.

I know a Scout would need the Hub (I have a Hub myself). I'm trying to figure out which model I'd need to buy. Even if I did get a Hub and Scout, connecting through the in-house wiring can't be done without a live telco landline, correct?

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Thu May 12, 2011 10:37 am

Emily wrote:Even if I did get a Hub and Scout, connecting through the in-house wiring can't be done without a live telco landline, correct?
No, you won't need a landline. In fact, if you are going to use the house wiring, you need to make sure that any previous landline connection is disconnected from the house wiring before connecting the ooma in order to prevent any possible damage to the ooma system.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Thu May 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Tomcat is correct; you'll be using the in-house wiring simply as -- well -- wires, and you won't want those wires connected to anything that's down the street.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Thu May 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Emily wrote:I'm considering getting a Telo as a gift for a family member, but first want to figure out the setup, as the person lives on two floors of a solid old brick house.

For those of you who have a Telo Handset, how good have you found the range/reception to be? I'm trying to figure out if this would be sufficient so that the phone would ring and be answerable on the second floor. I do think this might be possible, given the fact that Apple WiFi from the first floor manages to reach the second floor pretty well, despite the building's solid construction.

Would the alternative, a Scout, even be possible, given that the person no longer has a phone-company landline (just cable company phone service, which the Ooma would be replacing)?

Thanks.
Emily, I am in 3 floors including the basement. My house is 6" concrete to the roof. I have located Telo on the middle floor. I have no range related quality issues with the handset at all, in any part of the home.
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

Emily

Post by Emily » Thu May 12, 2011 6:52 pm

That sounds pretty good. I think I will probably go with the Telo.

Thanks for the input.