Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#81208 by Emily
Thu May 12, 2011 9:10 am
I'm considering getting a Telo as a gift for a family member, but first want to figure out the setup, as the person lives on two floors of a solid old brick house.

For those of you who have a Telo Handset, how good have you found the range/reception to be? I'm trying to figure out if this would be sufficient so that the phone would ring and be answerable on the second floor. I do think this might be possible, given the fact that Apple WiFi from the first floor manages to reach the second floor pretty well, despite the building's solid construction.

Would the alternative, a Scout, even be possible, given that the person no longer has a phone-company landline (just cable company phone service, which the Ooma would be replacing)?

Thanks.
#81215 by ajw522
Thu May 12, 2011 10:07 am
The Ooma Telo Handset range has been quite good for me. I live in a two story home as well, and, while not made of solid brick, if the Telo is on the second floor, I can go outside of the home, and the signal reaches pretty far, through multiple walls and stucco exterior. Going in between floors should work just fine.

And no, Scouts are not compatible with the Ooma Telo. They are only compatible with the older-model Ooma Hub.
#81221 by Emily
Thu May 12, 2011 10:27 am
Thanks. That sounds promising.

I know a Scout would need the Hub (I have a Hub myself). I'm trying to figure out which model I'd need to buy. Even if I did get a Hub and Scout, connecting through the in-house wiring can't be done without a live telco landline, correct?
#81223 by tomcat
Thu May 12, 2011 10:37 am
Emily wrote:Even if I did get a Hub and Scout, connecting through the in-house wiring can't be done without a live telco landline, correct?

No, you won't need a landline. In fact, if you are going to use the house wiring, you need to make sure that any previous landline connection is disconnected from the house wiring before connecting the ooma in order to prevent any possible damage to the ooma system.
#81267 by nn5i
Thu May 12, 2011 3:45 pm
Tomcat is correct; you'll be using the in-house wiring simply as -- well -- wires, and you won't want those wires connected to anything that's down the street.
#81280 by EA PA
Thu May 12, 2011 5:15 pm
Emily wrote:I'm considering getting a Telo as a gift for a family member, but first want to figure out the setup, as the person lives on two floors of a solid old brick house.

For those of you who have a Telo Handset, how good have you found the range/reception to be? I'm trying to figure out if this would be sufficient so that the phone would ring and be answerable on the second floor. I do think this might be possible, given the fact that Apple WiFi from the first floor manages to reach the second floor pretty well, despite the building's solid construction.

Would the alternative, a Scout, even be possible, given that the person no longer has a phone-company landline (just cable company phone service, which the Ooma would be replacing)?

Thanks.

Emily, I am in 3 floors including the basement. My house is 6" concrete to the roof. I have located Telo on the middle floor. I have no range related quality issues with the handset at all, in any part of the home.