Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#81178 by EricSusch
Wed May 11, 2011 9:36 pm
So I follow Ooma’s procedures to port my phone number from my Verizon land line. I wait. Finally I get an email from Ooma saying the port is complete on 4/29. Port status on my.ooma says port complete. My my.ooma account number changes to my phone number.

I test the Ooma phone. When I call my number the Ooma phone rings. When I call out from the Ooma phone it shows up as my number. So far so good. One curious thing though. When I call out from my Verizon phone line it too says it’s the same number. That seems strange to me.

I wait over the weekend to make sure everything’s gone through before calling Verizon to cancel. Called Verizon on 5/4 and they said they haven’t got a termination notice so if I cancel the account then I will lose the phone number. They tell me to call Ooma.

I call Ooma and initially the woman says everything is OK but just to be sure she goes away for a few minutes to check with the technical people. She says that there is a problem and I need to talk to the technical people. She transfers me and I wait on hold for 15 minutes for a technical person. I have to go pick up my wife so I’m forced to hang up. When I get back I call Ooma again, recount the entire story and wait on hold for two or three minutes while she talks to the technical people. When she comes back she says that there is a problem and I will get an e-mail about it in 24 to 36 hours.

I wait a few days. No e-mail from the technical people so I call back today (5/11.) The friendly Ooma woman says the port is complete and I can cancel my Verizon line. I press her on it to make sure. I recount the whole story. I explain that my Verizon line still calls out with my number even though the Ooma phone works properly. She goes away to talk to the technical people. When she comes back she assures me that Ooma has the phone number and that I won’t lose it if I cancel my Verizon account. I pressed her again just to make sure. I want to be sure that the mystery problem from last week that I didn’t get an email about was resolved. She reassures me again that everything is completed and that I won’t lose the phone number if I call Verizon to cancel.

I call Verizon. The Verizon person says that Verizon owns the number and if I cancel my account Verizon will give my number out to somebody else. She tells me that I shouldn’t be calling to cancel the number, the proper procedure is for Ooma to cancel it. She also says there is absolutely nothing in her system about porting the number and nothing from Ooma. I suggest that it’s time to call Ooma and conference a call with all of us. Of course Verizon can’t do that. She says I have to call Ooma and get them to cancel the number or I will lose it. I hang up.

At this point I’m continuing to pay $50 a month for my Verizon land line even though my Ooma phone seems to work fine. I’m going to call Ooma back tomorrow during business hours but I have to say that this whole Ooma thing is turning into a nightmare. I’m going to tell them what Verizon told me (that Ooma needs to cancel my phone) but at this point I don’t have much hope for a resolution. Anyone else have a problem like this? There must be somebody here that’s moved over from Verizon. What should I do?
#81179 by ajw522
Wed May 11, 2011 9:52 pm
Go to tnid.us and check your number. See who your current carrier is. That will tell you who truly owns your number.
#81226 by EricSusch
Thu May 12, 2011 10:42 am
ajw522,
Thanks for the link to that website.

It says Conversent Communications, LLC owns the number. Couldn't find any connection between Conversent and Ooma so I'm not sure what that means other than it appears that Verizon doesn't have the number. Given that Verizon thinks they still do, however, I don't know what will happen if they give it to someone else and cause some sort of conflict. Big companies have a tendency to get what they want even if they are wrong and I don't want to lose out in the middle of something like that. I'd be much more comfortable if Ooma followed through with Verizon's porting procedure instead of putting me in the middle.
#81228 by lbmofo
Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 am
If you call your number and your ooma rings (given that you never forwarded your VZ number to your Ooma temp number and you are not in landline integration mode and you are not feeding your landline to Ooma's wall port), then you are good. Go ahead and cancel your Verizon service. Someone at VZ is confused.
#81334 by EricSusch
Fri May 13, 2011 12:03 pm
I appreciate all the responses. I only wish Ooma was so responsive. I sent them the above note and once again they promised to get back to me and, once again, they haven't. It occurs to me that I don't have any actual facts from Ooma, only generic re-assurances from their customer relations people. I have never spoken to any technical people and no technical people have e-mailed me even though I was promised twice. I hate to be so cynical but I'm new to Ooma and I don't have anything else to go on.

It's Friday afternoon. Another week has gone by and this hasn't been resolved. I'm going to take the weekend and figure out what to do with the facts at hand. Really do appreciate the info people have posted here.
#81341 by ntoy
Fri May 13, 2011 1:05 pm
EricSusch wrote:I appreciate all the responses. I only wish Ooma was so responsive. I sent them the above note and once again they promised to get back to me and, once again, they haven't. It occurs to me that I don't have any actual facts from Ooma, only generic re-assurances from their customer relations people. I have never spoken to any technical people and no technical people have e-mailed me even though I was promised twice. I hate to be so cynical but I'm new to Ooma and I don't have anything else to go on.

It's Friday afternoon. Another week has gone by and this hasn't been resolved. I'm going to take the weekend and figure out what to do with the facts at hand. Really do appreciate the info people have posted here.

Hello,

I reconfirmed with our porting team that your number ported over successfully. I tested your number & it is hitting our network. When you call Verizon back, let them know per NPAC agreement, your number ported over.
#81573 by EricSusch
Tue May 17, 2011 1:47 pm
Well I just canceled the Verizon land line. I argued and argued and argued with the Verizon rep but she wouldn't acknowledge that the number was ported. I said that Verizon was required to recognize that the number was ported per NPAC agreement. She refused to acknowledge that too. I guess we'll find out tomorrow what happens.