Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#80896 by EricJRW
Sun May 08, 2011 8:00 am
My brother-in-law is considering ooma but was curious about a couple things I did not have an answer for.

1. Is there a minimum recommended speed (UL/DL) to get the best out of ooma?

2. Has anyone tried ooma with a wireless Internet provider, e.g. Clear?

Also, if you do put your network behind the home port, does this mean the hub/telo can manage access to the Internet to optimize call quality? Since I have FiOS, I have my hub on my FiOS router, but my b-i-l may end up using a low-tier DSL so I need to make sure he's not going to have headaches (since I'm the one he will be calling).

Thanks in advance,

Eric

PS. I forget to see if there was a FAQ for this. Apologies if it's already documented somewhere.

-ew
#80898 by thunderbird
Sun May 08, 2011 8:59 am
EricJRW wrote:My brother-in-law is considering ooma but was curious about a couple things I did not have an answer for.
1. Is there a minimum recommended speed (UL/DL) to get the best out of ooma?

Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbs download and 265 kbs upload.

EricJRW wrote:2. Has anyone tried ooma with a wireless Internet provider, e.g. Clear?

A better approach would be to test the location where the Ooma device will be used. Wireless broadcast site reliability very greatly from site to site for the same Internet provider. Measure with http://www.speedtest.net/, & http://speedtest.phonepower.com/, and check signal strength, to see what the Quality of Service conditions are from the wireless broadcast site your brother-in-law will be using. I worked with someone that is using wireless 4G and it works great. In the beginning, the wireless 4G antenna site that was nearby put out a terrible signal with very poor QoS. What we did was to put in service calls complaining that the wireless 4G signal pulsed and the computer would sometimes disconnect, never mentioning the Ooma device or VoIP. Corrections were made to the wireless 4G site and everything has functioned well since.

EricJRW wrote:Also, if you do put your network behind the home port, does this mean the hub/telo can manage access to the Internet to optimize call quality?

Yes, Quality of Service setting in the Ooma Device would probably have to be configured. A switch would be need also if more than one device was to be connected to the Ooma Home Port Router.

EricJRW wrote:Since I have FiOS, I have my hub on my FiOS router, but my b-i-l may end up using a low-tier DSL so I need to make sure he's not going to have headaches (since I'm the one he will be calling).

Thanks in advance,

Eric

PS. I forget to see if there was a FAQ for this. Apologies if it's already documented somewhere.

-ew
[/quote]
#81044 by EricJRW
Tue May 10, 2011 8:57 am
Thanks for the info guys. I will pass it along.

Eric