Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#5817 by southsound
Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:25 pm
How do you receive your Internet content? Is this a campus environment where you only have wireless access? Do you only have connectivity through the wireless card in the computer or is there a DSL or Cable modem somewhere in the middle? The ooma hub is not designed to be fed from a computer but rather from its own Internet connection. It still may be possible to use ooma, but it would require some additional equipment and configuration.

The more information we have, the better answer we can give.
#5819 by southsound
Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
I'm thinking that you might be able to use something like the Linksys WGA54AG gaming adapter if you are in a campus environment without access to a wired system. Anyone have expereince using the WGA54AG with ooma?
#5844 by lohertz
Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:14 pm
This thread got wifi bridge to sucessfully connect an ooma to the network.

However, it was a 802.11n rather than G

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1093

I dont see why it wouldn't work as long as you have a solid connection. That's generally the problem with wifi is you cant get a solid connection.
#5924 by watsontahiti
Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:36 pm
Final Thoughts Closing My Subject Thread ...

The Good:

Ooma is far better than Vonage. It works ALMOST as advertised. Setup is easy, takes less than 10 minutes (5 minutes in my case) and provides an wonderful VOIP US telephone service. I purchased 3 Ooma systems at Best Buy in California, one for use in the United States, and the other two for out of the country locations. All work UNLESS your internet connection is dependent on a shared Wi-Fi connection.

The Bad:

Be advised that a high speed internet connection DOES NOT include a computer that connects to the internet via a shared Wi-Fi connection. Stay with Skype and you won’t be disappointed. The friendly users on the various forums have many helpful connection ideas but none apply to a single computer remotely connected via a shared internet connection via Wi-Fi.

The Ugly:

Don’t expect any response from Ooma’s support. Don’t bother emailing them or calling and waiting on eternal hold to talk with some dufus that doesn’t have a clue. Be happy if your Ooma works, for the $200 to $350 you paid it's a reasonable value. Like most Ooma type companies who get their cash up front, the customer comes last, stay clam and wait until something better comes along.
#5925 by WayneDsr
Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:42 pm
Can't agree with you on The Ugly. I've always been able to get through to support both on phone and email.
I always to make sure to call during non peak times.

The knowlegebase tells you ooma will not work on WIFI, I read that before I purchased ooma.

Wayne
#5927 by watsontahiti
Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:04 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Can't agree with you on The Ugly. I've always been able to get through to support both on phone and email.
I always to make sure to call during non peak times.

The knowlegebase tells you ooma will not work on WIFI, I read that before I purchased ooma.

Wayne

I must be stupid! Please share with all where you found the information on WiFi in the knowledge base. I could not find it. Living and traveling through 7 time zones I can't find non peak times. I'm happy with the product. Support will improve I'm sure. Thank you for your feedback.
#5929 by WayneDsr
Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:35 pm
FAQ Number 2 Minimum Requirements:
2. What do I need for the ooma system to work?

All you need is a high-speed Internet connection (cable, DSL or fiber-optic) and a regular home phone

FAQ Number 4
4. Can I use the ooma system with a wireless or satellite Internet service?

The ooma Hub device has been designed to work with a wired high-speed Internet connection (such as DSL, cable, or fiber-optic). While we have a number of customers who have used the ooma system with a wireless Internet connection, we cannot guarantee the performance will be quite as good. Please note that you can still use a Wi-Fi network in your home. For more home set-up information, please refer to the product documentation.

From that I decided that wireless does not work.

Wayne
#5933 by lohertz
Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:14 am
Like I said, it could work, depending on your network signal. You would need to have a solid signal and great connectivity, with little interference (low signal to noise ratio)

But if you were planning on using it from the go you may be disappointed unless the above applies.

Have you used a bridge before on this network?

If you are on campus type setting, the network admin could be blocking certain VPN connections, and you wouldn't be able to use Ooma.