Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#80180 by dml247
Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:54 pm
Configuration: Modem->Telo->Router

I'd like to use the Telo as the NAT device. I've turned off my router from performing NAT and configured the Telo via the Home Networking page: http://setup.ooma.com/home_network.lp

This works great and my routers behind the Telo get addresses as needed from the Telo. I've had to change the Home Port IP address from the default 172.* to 192.* due to fixed IP addresses that I have on some machines that I can't change on my network.

Here's the problem. I've noticed that twice today, the Telo has changed back the Home Port IP address to the 172.* address. The first time I noticed this, it had been 24 hours since making this change. (Thinking that maybe something like a DHCP refresh on the cable modem forced the reset.) The second time was due to losing power in our house for over an hour or more. Both times I had to go back to the home_network.lp page and reset the home network settings.

Is there a way to make sure that this setting doesn't go back to the default? If there isn't then, I'll need to ignore the NAT that the Telo provides and turn back on NAT on the router. Probably no big deal, but something that I think the Telo should handle. If it can't then why offer it?
#80188 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:53 pm
dml247:
There is a "bug" in the Ooma Internet PPPoE setup, that I suspect may extend to the Home Port Network setup also....?

If I could, and I know it's a pain, but I would change back to the 172.27.35.10 through .160 range and than reset the Static IP address to 172.xxx in each of the machines/computers that you have on your LAN. The 172.xxx numbers will update and stay.
#80192 by dml247
Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:50 pm
Is there a reset procedure to put the Telo back to the "factory settings"?
#80193 by murphy
Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:55 pm
dml247 wrote:Is there a reset procedure to put the Telo back to the "factory settings"?

Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to the Telo to issue a factory reset.
#80197 by dml247
Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:21 pm
Thanks. What I did was a a factory reset. Then made the DHCP on the Telo to give one address (for the router), and then turned on DHCP/NAT on my router for a range of addresses that is in my home network already. Unfortunately, I have some VM's that are a pain to change the IP address for so this work around will have to do for now.
#80257 by Bobby B
Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:27 pm
Hmm, it should retain the 192.x.x.x settings and not revert back to 172.x.x.x. I'd like to try this on my lab Telo - can you email me a screenshot of your Home Network setup page?

dml247 wrote:Is there a way to make sure that this setting doesn't go back to the default?
#80268 by dml247
Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:08 pm
Attached is the Home Network Settings page as it looked when I did the 192... update.

Also, on the "INTERNET port MAC address:" section on the Internet Settings, I had the "Use Built in:" radio button selected instead of the default, "Automatic".

And, I'm using version 45073 of the firmware.
Attachments
Ooma Telo Setup.jpg
Ooma Telo Setup.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
#91772 by gregchak
Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:01 pm
For the longest time I have had my Ooma Telco behind my router because the port forwarding never worked correctly. Over the past year, with all of the firmware updates I decided to to try it again. To my delight, the port forwarding worked great! Unfortunately, I have the same problem as the OP. To make it more interesting, I am subnetting at 255.255.255.128 for other reasons. I can go in and update my home network settings to the 192.168.100.x settings and setup port forwarding. The problem is whenever my Telco is power cycled it loses all of its settings and reverts everything back to 172.x.x.x and clears out all of my port forwarding settings.

I am running, from what I can tell, the most current firmware at 50832. Is this a known issue? Are there any work arounds?

Thanks for the help!
#91773 by thunderbird
Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:14 pm
gregchak:
In Ooma Setup, Advanced page, Port Forwarding, after you configure your port foward rule and click on Add Rule, I found back on the Advanced page, if I clicked on Update locted just above the words Port Forwarding, my rules would remain.

I never have had any luck trying to blend two NATs, the router and Ooma.
When you are on the Ooma Setup Home Network page, click on the question mark and see if there is anything that may useful on the page that opens.
#91783 by gregchak
Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:07 am
I have actually tried that button also. The settings stay saved when I keep the default 172.x.x.x setup. But if I change that in any way the port forwarding settings are gone and the Telco reverts back to the default 172 addressomg. It's very annoying to say the least. If it is going to revert back to its default IP settings, why give us the option to change it.