Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#80179 by rafriedman
Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:38 pm
I want to port my existing number. Is there a reason why I should hook up my Telo now? It seems like it might make sense to keep everything as it is until the number has been ported and the landline cancelled. Am I missing something here? Should I hook up the system before the number is ported? Thanks.
#80181 by tomcat
Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:56 pm
I would go ahead and get it up and running so you can give it a spin before the porting completes. This gives you the opportunity to make sure everything is working as you expect it to and get any additional configurations on your network configured, such as QoS.
#80183 by rafriedman
Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:08 pm
Thanks for your quick reply & for your welcome...

but if I don't have a phone jack in the room where my router and modem are then I can't do this (i.e. use the ooma with the landline) and have to wait until the porting is complete, right?
#80185 by tomcat
Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:20 pm
rafriedman wrote:Thanks for your quick reply & for your welcome...

but if I don't have a phone jack in the room where my router and modem are then I can't do this (i.e. use the ooma with the landline) and have to wait until the porting is complete, right?

Most of the recommendations you will find in the forum suggests you forward your landline to your temporary ooma number then hookup your cordless phone (assuming you have one) to the ooma and run this way. I also recommend this setup.

If you are planning on connecting the ooma to your house wiring, be sure that your wiring is disconnected from your phone company at the outside NIB to insure there is no back feed of power. This is true even after your existing landline is canceled.