Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#80035 by timmartin
Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:36 am
I can get my router (AirPort Extreme) and my computer to directly connect via PPPoE. However when I put my Ooma Telo first in line and try to get it to connect via PPPoE it never works.

The Telo doesn't doesn't give me any error messages or any information about why it doesn't work. I'm using the same service name, user name, and password on all three devices. Again, the Telo is the only thing that doesn't work. One thought is that this is the first time i've used a service in which the "service name" is required. If it's empty or wrong i can't connect with my other devices. I fill this field in on the Telo but i have a hunch that it's the problem.

Is there anything I can do to see a log or some sort of error messages about why it's not working?
#80049 by thunderbird
Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:35 am
timmartin wrote:I can get my router (AirPort Extreme) and my computer to directly connect via PPPoE. However when I put my Ooma Telo first in line and try to get it to connect via PPPoE it never works.

The Telo doesn't doesn't give me any error messages or any information about why it doesn't work. I'm using the same service name, user name, and password on all three devices. Again, the Telo is the only thing that doesn't work. One thought is that this is the first time i've used a service in which the "service name" is required. If it's empty or wrong i can't connect with my other devices. I fill this field in on the Telo but i have a hunch that it's the problem.

Is there anything I can do to see a log or some sort of error messages about why it's not working?

Go into Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet settings. At connection type select PPPoE. Fill in Name and password below and than click on update. Reboot the modem than restart the Ooma device.

I couldn't get that to work.
What worked for me, with setup Modem-Ooma-Router, was to go to Ooma Setup and than to Internet settings and select Automatic. After a Modem reboot, than Ooma device reboot, than Router reboot, Log-In using your computer. After the first or second time of logging in this way, Ooma remembered the Name and Password and I didn't have to Log-In anymore. It worked for me, but ????? Let us know if it works for you.
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
#80051 by timmartin
Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:56 am
How do you "log in with your computer"? I did try automatic and specifically choosing pppoe. Neither worked any better than the other.

The only way I can connect directly with my computer is if i plug the modem directly into the computer. At least, that's the only way I know of.
#80053 by thunderbird
Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:13 pm
timmartin wrote:How do you "log in with your computer"? I did try automatic and specifically choosing pppoe. Neither worked any better than the other.

The only way I can connect directly with my computer is if i plug the modem directly into the computer. At least, that's the only way I know of.

With setup Modem-Ooma-Router-Computer, and with the Ooma device booted as far as it will go, Log-in to your computer's PPPoE window, using the PPPoE name and password, as if it was connected directly to the Modem. Mine works this way.

If you have trouble logging in this way, temporarily take the router out and connect the computer to the Ooma device's Home port using a network cable. Than Log-In using the computer's PPPoE window.
Make sure that the PPPoE name and password is saved in Ooma Setup, but instead of selecting PPPoE as Connection type, select Automatic. Click on Update.

If you need to setup the PPPoE Log-in window in your computer, go to windows help and than search PPPoE. It will give you step by step instructions.
#80061 by Dennis P
Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:34 pm
timmartin wrote:I can get my router (AirPort Extreme) and my computer to directly connect via PPPoE. However when I put my Ooma Telo first in line and try to get it to connect via PPPoE it never works.

Looks like your hunch was right. I tried configuring a PPPoE service name on my Telo and did a packet capture. Doesn't look like the service name is being advertised correctly. I've opened up a bug to track the issue.
#80070 by thunderbird
Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:23 pm
timmartin:
If you can't get the PPPoE to work with the Ooma device connected to the Modem, Try connecting Modem-Router-Ooma.

I have mine connected this way and it works fine.
#80123 by timmartin
Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:46 pm
thunderbird wrote:timmartin:
If you can't get the PPPoE to work with the Ooma device connected to the Modem, Try connecting Modem-Router-Ooma.

I have mine connected this way and it works fine.

yeah, that's how i have it right now. I've just been hoping the pppoe problem would get fixed and then I could put it first. I want the QoS features as well as wanting to re-arrange my hardware some so that my router/wifi/switch are in a different place. I can only do that if the Ooma works as my router.
#80125 by thunderbird
Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:53 pm
The fix for the PPPoE bug will probably be slow coming from Ooma.

(Clarified with more detail) The work-around that I used was the procedure below (clarified):
I had to use this setup in two locations in China and it worked fine in both cases.

Make sure that the Service Name, Name and Password is saved in Ooma Setup, but instead of selecting PPPoE as Connection type, select Automatic. Click on Update.

With setup Modem-Ooma-Computer, and after rebooting everything, and (Following is Important) with the Ooma device booted as far as it will go:
1) Booted as far as the Ooma device can go is: Top row Ooma lights, 1 & 2 flashing blue.
2) Make sure when you right click on your computer's "My Network Places that the Local Area Connection shows connected.
3) Log-in to your computer's PPPoE window, using the PPPoE name and password, as if it was connected directly to the Modem.

After you have connected to the Internet this way, after two or three minutes, the Ooma icon will flash red, than solid blue.
If this doesn’t work:
1) Make sure you can access the Internet by typing http://www.google.com in your computer's browser window.
2) If you can access the Internet, try taking the Service Name out of the Ooma setup pages, than click update and reboot the Ooma device, than try logging-in again).

Reboot the Ooma device and make sure it boots fully up to the Ooma icon solid blue without using the computer PPPoE sign-on.

If the Ooma device's icon doesn't boot up to solid blue, sign into the computer's PPPoE sign-in window again. When I was in China one time I had to do this procedure twice at one location. At the next location I had to do the computer log-in procedure only once.

If you are successful, reconnect your router's WAN port with a network cable to the Ooma device's Home port, and reboot the Ooma device and Router.

If you need to setup the PPPoE Log-in window in your computer, go to windows help and than search PPPoE. It will give you step by step instructions.