Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#5781 by AngelaKendig
Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:50 pm
Just picked up a Brother MFC-9440CN. My current config is:
Modem(35mb down/4mb up)-gigabit router-ooma hub.
Hubs phone port to wall jack.
Cordless base station plugged into different wall jack-5 stand alone handsets throughout house.
Not currently using scout.
Initially today I connected the scout directly to the hub's WALL port, added a new phone number in the lounge and assigned it to the scout, logged into the lounge under the new number and changed VM pickup to 59 seconds. Power cycled hub, then scout.

Seems to be OK even though documentation states the fax should be connected directly to the hub, and the scout used for voice calls. Is it really going to matter since the scout is sitting right next to the hub and not going through household wiring?
Last edited by AngelaKendig on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#5783 by southsound
Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:15 pm
I use a landline for my fax - but I can give some good physical setup advice. Do not put your fax machine on a table above your shredder. Some years ago I bought a nice new fax machine that also made copies. It was at a good price, but it also sported a hefty rebate. I wanted to make sure I had all my records in case I had trouble getting the rebate so I made a copy of the receipt and rebate form that I had taped together. As I watched from across the room in sheer terror and amazement, the fax machine spit out the original of the receipt and rebate and it dropped into the opening of the shredder. By the time I got over to the shredder, all I had left was packing material. No rebate, no receipt, nada. Machines are out to get us.
#5785 by AngelaKendig
Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:02 pm
Wow, you may want to seriously contemplate getting behind the wheel tomorrow.
#5791 by stsabrmc
Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:14 am
I initially didn't think about my FAX capability when I purchased Ooma in February until I had to use it. Then I found out that standard FAX machines, including those typically found in All-In-One printers like yours and mine, don't work well with a VoIP connection like we get through Ooma. This is due mostly to the analog line clarity that the traditional FAX protocol requires and which high speed Internet connections just don't provide. The only exception is if you were to purchase a FoIP (Fax Over Internet Protocol) or T.38 compatible FAX machine or maybe when Ooma makes FoIP available through its hub. T.38 is the protocol that outlines how analog FAX signals can be converted to digital packets and sent over the Internet.

Shortly after my Ooma purchase, I opted to completely port my phone number over to Ooma and sever all connectivity to my local landline. Unfortunately, because I don't have a FoIP compatible FAX machine and sending FAXes through Ooma has been unreliable, I'm reluctantly having my local telephone provider re-activate my landline next week. In addition, I also discovered that my ADT Security system and my power company's smart cents monitoring system aren't VoIP compatible either so it would seem that for now, VoIP technologies are still too immature to handle some customers more robust analog device requirements.