Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#79749 by toppgunn
Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:25 pm
Had Ooma about 2 weeks. Alarm has been working fine no issues. Well tonight trouble code came up. I did a contact test and it failed. Checked my call log and its been making the calls every night with success till tonight. Read over the forums and various other internet pages. Confirmed need to do a RJ-31x ooma installation, what to check first. That simply I need to strip a phone cable and get cables 4/5 wire them into 4/5 on the RJ-31x. Then plug the other end into the ooma. Call ADT have them add the *99 and all should be fine?? Any help will be very much appreciated.
#79752 by southsound
Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:50 am
toppgunn wrote:Had Ooma about 2 weeks. Alarm has been working fine no issues. Well tonight trouble code came up. I did a contact test and it failed. Checked my call log and its been making the calls every night with success till tonight. Read over the forums and various other internet pages. Confirmed need to do a RJ-31x ooma installation, what to check first. That simply I need to strip a phone cable and get cables 4/5 wire them into 4/5 on the RJ-31x. Then plug the other end into the ooma. Call ADT have them add the *99 and all should be fine?? Any help will be very much appreciated.

Here is the wiring for the RJ31X. Where it says CO line in, this is what connects up to your ooma. I would avoid modifying a phone cable. You can get a modular cable from Radio Shack with spade terminals on one end but even easier is to just purchase a small RJ11 jack and use a modular cord between the ooma and the jack. Then take the red/green connections from the RJ11 and wiring them to terminals 4 & 5 in the RJ31x. This way you can place the ooma wherever convenient even if it is some distance from the RJ31X Chances are that the house wiring is already connected to terminals 1 & 8 in the RJ31x. The reason I say not to rely on modified modular cord is that sometimes the wires are so thin or are even made of a foil for flexibility that a positive connection is difficult.
Image Image
#79753 by toppgunn
Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:00 am
Thanks for the info. My house is wire to where one of the jacks is and input for all the the other jacks. So it should already be done right. (previously had cox) Just gotta head down to the shack and grab one of these and wire it up. So the black and yellow cables what do i do what those after red and green into 4 and 5?
#79754 by southsound
Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 am
You can just clip them or tape the ends. There is no connection inside the ooma.
#79779 by nn5i
Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:23 pm
toppgunn wrote:So the black and yellow cables what do i do what those after red and green into 4 and 5?

Huh?