Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#79577 by ameneses54
Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:03 am
Dear users,
Considering using the Ooma Telo through home wiring connecting a Dect 6 Panasonic wireless to a jack and connecting it side by side to the Telo, which would render a better voice quality call experience?

Thanks
Arturo
#79578 by southsound
Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:29 am
If the house wiring is in good condition and you have disconnected your wiring from the utility at the Network Interface Box, there should be no difference. I run an underground cable to our barn some 300' away and have excellent quality at the distant location. If you have questionable wiring - quad instead of twisted pair or junctions that may be infested with insect larvae (I know that sounds gross but it does happen) I would abandon the house wiring and go direct.

(Quad wiring is the old style 4 conductor (red, green, yellow, black) cable that was used until the 50's. Because the pairs are not twisted there is a chance for RF interference.)

Welcome to ooma and to the forum. :cool:
#79628 by EA PA
Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:22 pm
ameneses54 wrote:Dear users,
Considering using the Ooma Telo through home wiring connecting a Dect 6 Panasonic wireless to a jack and connecting it side by side to the Telo, which would render a better voice quality call experience?

Thanks
Arturo

One benefit of using the plug into OOMA Phone jack with the Dect 6 base is that you free up some house wiring for other ethenet stuff if desired. Also, I notice you mention a side by side configuration. If I was you I would leave a few feet of space between OOMA and any other RF sensitive equipment due some previous interference issues that have been identified.
#79629 by highq
Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:28 pm
EA PA wrote:One benefit of using the plug into OOMA Phone jack with the Dect 6 base is that you free up some house wiring for other ethenet stuff if desired.

Please explain that.
#79631 by EA PA
Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:47 pm
highq wrote:
EA PA wrote:One benefit of using the plug into OOMA Phone jack with the Dect 6 base is that you free up some house wiring for other ethenet stuff if desired.

Please explain that.

If you have config Cable Modem/OOMA/phone jack to Dect 6 base vs house wall jack (no house wiring)/ router / switch - your house wiring is not used for OOMA phone at all - so you save 2 conductors throughout home. So in my case anyway, I can use the Cat 5 routed throughout the house via my ethernet switch at common phone wiring location in the basement. This provides lots of flexibility for me. Also, I can use the cable for 1 separate copper line from the street for alarm system or backup phone system and also ethernet if desired. Sorry if I was not clear.
Last edited by EA PA on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#79633 by murphy
Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:17 pm
Most houses were wired for telephones with cables that do not have twisted pair wire in them.
It does not work very well, if at all, for LAN wiring.

It has only been in the last few years that cat 5 cabling has been installed in new construction.

If you have the traditional red, green, yellow, black phone cable, it is not suitable for LAN wiring.
#79638 by EA PA
Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:17 pm
murphy wrote:Most houses were wired for telephones with cables that do not have twisted pair wire in them.
It does not work very well, if at all, for LAN wiring.

It has only been in the last few years that cat 5 cabling has been installed in new construction.

If you have the traditional red, green, yellow, black phone cable, it is not suitable for LAN wiring.

Thanks for noting the limitations without Cat 5.