Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#6055 by WayneDsr
Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:09 pm
If ooma is plugged into the router as the printer is (I think), maybe ooma captured the printers static ip.

Wayne
#6057 by oldanbo
Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:07 pm
here's the ping results...looks good

Pinging 192.168.0.102 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.102: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.102:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

and now it seems to be printing again, except from MS Works. I'll get rid of that later.

I don't know what to say, It must have been something dumb on my part. Before I retired 12 years ago, I used to do this stuff for a living. Must have forgot everything I ever learned :-)

Nurse....I'll have that martini now!

Thanks again and I'll see what happens when I reboot the pc in the morning.
#6071 by WayneDsr
Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:57 am
That's what happens when two devices share the same IP. The first device uses the ip and the second one doesn't work. Then when the first device is idle and you use the second device the second one takes the ip and works temporarily.
That's the reason I mentioned the ip sharing problem. Make sure the printer is not accidentally sharing it's ip with something else.
The ip pings, but are you sure it's the printer (or print server) returning the ping?

Wayne
#6136 by oldanbo
Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 pm
WayneDsr wrote:That's what happens when two devices share the same IP. The first device uses the ip and the second one doesn't work. Then when the first device is idle and you use the second device the second one takes the ip and works temporarily.
That's the reason I mentioned the ip sharing problem. Make sure the printer is not accidentally sharing it's ip with something else.
The ip pings, but are you sure it's the printer (or print server) returning the ping?

Wayne

Makes sense. In the router setup it did show the printer mac address tied to the correct ip address. Also the printer screen showed the correct ip address.

I bought a new router, hooked it up, all was fine EXCEPT I couldn't send email again. So I dug around in the mail properties and directed the software to use the same security settings as the pop3 server and surprise, surprise, all is well again. And I do mean ALL is well.

Thanks again to everyone for their patience and suggestions.

Best regards,
Dan
#6185 by niknak
Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:10 pm
is the router supplying DHCP addresses?
is the print server ip address static or dhcp?
if the other devices are working except the printer it sounds like a network address issue with the printer
#6198 by tommies
Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:47 pm
WayneDsr wrote:That's what happens when two devices share the same IP. The first device uses the ip and the second one doesn't work. Then when the first device is idle and you use the second device the second one takes the ip and works temporarily.

Wayne

You hit the nail on the head, Wayne, But it the ooma hub is the party to get the blame.

its the ooma hub and one of your pc have the same ip, that cause all of your trouble.

In the initial setup (modem>ooma>router>pc) ooma will grab the MAC address of the pc behind it home port to use as the MAC address for its modem port. Just hook a pc to ooma home port and connect to setup.ooma.com/172.27.35.1 then go to Setting>Networks. Under Modem port MAC address, use see 3 options:

1. Automatic: >>> this is your NIT MAC address <<< this is the default option
2. Use build in: this is the MAC address that printed on the unit and being use on registration process
3. use custom: make up one to suit your need.

Change the selection to the 2nd, and power cycle the whole gig will solve all of your printing/mail problem.

Sorry I can't get back to you sooner, but I have my hand full with my infected pc. Arrr....
#6254 by oldanbo
Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:31 pm
BINGO!!! tommies solution!

I was sitting here looking at the IP's assigned in the new router and noticed that I only saw two. My pc and the printer, yet there were three different mac numbers. So, two mac numbers pointing to one IP address.

No wonder things were so flaky. This had me stymied for sure. I think the new router is going back to Costco in which case, tommies saved me over 80 bucks and the DLINK ethernet to usb port is useless anyway with LiveOneCare. I need a router with more than 4 ethernet ports and the ooma hub(setup.ooma.com) should be accessible via the home and modem ports (IMHO). Kinda hard to do any stationary wiring if I have to connect pc directly to home port since I have hubs on opposite sides of room and wifey likes it that way.

Sorry to ramble on like that.

tommies, YOU da man!

and many thanks to you and all my helpers here.

Regards,
Dan
#6260 by murphy
Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:05 pm
Any 4 port router can be expanded to more ports with an inexpensive switch.