Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#79287 by nn5i
Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 pm
thunderbird wrote:khoelting:
If you included the http:// when you typed http://172.27.35.1 into your browser's window, and had the firewall/virus software turned off while trying and was using firefox or Internet explorer, it wasn't you, it's the Ooma unit itself.

That, or the laptop is not configured to acquire an IP through DHCP -- which is my guess.
#79288 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:00 pm
khoelting:
There is that one last possibility that your computer's wired LAN connection isn't configured correctly.

Check by right clicking on your My Network Places icon and left click on properties, right click on Local Area Connection in the window that opens and left click on properties.
In the window that opens scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and highlight the words. Don't uncheck the box in front of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). With your mouse go down and select Properties. Make sure the "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" buttons are selected. Click OK, than Ok again for the next window. Restart your computer and type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer's browser’s window. The Ooma Setup window will open.?

If by now you have called Ooma Customer Support, and they are going to send you a replacement Ooma device under warranty, that's okay because you still have the problem of your old Ooma device restarting by itself to deal with. A replacement Ooma device will fix that problem.
#79294 by khoelting
Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:55 am
Thanks to you all SO much for the help. I think you're right about the settings being wrong on my laptop. This is going to sound stupid, but I have windows 7 on it and I couldn't find the tcp/ip thing you mentioned. Anyway, I found another thread about a different way to set up the ooma. I now have my set up this way: modem > router > ooma, with ooma using the router as my wired pcs. I then went into the router's qos setting and using the ooma's mac address, set it to the highest priority. i restarted everything and it all seems to be working. Do you think this setup is ok? If I still get the power off thing going on, I will have to call customer service, although I don't really don't want to do that. I've only had the ooma unit for a couple of weeks, so I am early into the warranty period. Thanks again for the help!
#79296 by tomcat
Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:19 am
If you didn't by directly from Ooma, you could return it to the place of purchase for an exchange. Though, I am not sure what will need to be done to associate your new unit with your existing account, but I would think it would just be a matter of calling CS with the new telo information.
#79325 by thunderbird
Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:19 am
khoelting wrote:Thanks to you all SO much for the help. I think you're right about the settings being wrong on my laptop. This is going to sound stupid, but I have windows 7 on it and I couldn't find the tcp/ip thing you mentioned. Anyway, I found another thread about a different way to set up the ooma. I now have my set up this way: modem > router > ooma, with ooma using the router as my wired pcs. I then went into the router's qos setting and using the ooma's mac address, set it to the highest priority. i restarted everything and it all seems to be working. Do you think this setup is ok? If I still get the power off thing going on, I will have to call customer service, although I don't really don't want to do that. I've only had the ooma unit for a couple of weeks, so I am early into the warranty period. Thanks again for the help!

Another route to change TCP/IP settings Window 7 for Microsoft http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... P-settings

TCP/IP defines the language that your computer uses to communicate with other computers. We recommend using automated Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) to automatically assign Internet Protocol (IP) addresses to the computers on your network, if your network supports it. If you use DHCP, then you don't have to change your settings if you move your computer to another location, and DHCP doesn't require you to manually configure settings such as Domain Name System (DNS) and Windows Internet Name Service (WINS).

1.Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

2.Right-click the connection that you want to change (Local Area Connection), and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.Click the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click either Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then click Properties.

4.To specify IPv4 IP address settings, do one of the following:

•To obtain IP settings automatically, click Obtain an IP address automatically, and then click OK.

•To specify an IP address, click Use the following IP address, and then, in the IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway boxes, type the IP address settings.

5.To specify IPv6 IP address settings, do one of the following:

•To obtain IP settings automatically, click Obtain an IPv6 address automatically, and then click OK.

•To specify an IP address, click Use the following IPv6 address, and then, in the IPv6 address, Subnet prefix length, and Default gateway boxes, type the IP address settings.

6.To specify DNS server address settings, do one of the following:

•To obtain a DNS server address automatically, click Obtain DNS server address automatically, and then click OK.

•To specify a DNS server address, click Use the following DNS server addresses, and then, in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server boxes, type the addresses of the primary and secondary DNS servers.

7.To change DNS, WINS, and IP settings, click Advanced.

khoelting Per instructions above:
Set IPv4 & IPv6 To obtain IP settings automatically, click Obtain an IP address automatically, and then click OK.
Set DNS To To obtain a DNS server address automatically, click Obtain DNS server address automatically, and then click OK.

Watch for the Ooma self restart problem. If it does it even once more, get it and/or the power adapter replaced.