Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#79215 by khoelting
Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:44 am
I'm hoping someone can help this technically challenged ooma user. I set up my ooma a few weeks ago, and my home telephone number was ported successfully. It all works fine, EXCEPT on occassion, some incoming calls (from my mother-in-law, and my mother) only ring about 1 1/2 times, then disconnect, without going to voicemail. Also, right after that the ooma reboots. Anyway, i have been reading this forum and am trying to get into the advanced settings to configure the qos settings. i have an ethernet cable attached from my laptop to the home port of the ooma telo. i type in http://172.27.35.1 and i get an error message that it cannot access that page. i have also typed in http://setup.ooma.com and get the same error message. i have tried browsing to another site and that is successful. My question is what am I doing wrong? Do I need to change something in the router settings? Thanks for any insight and sorry if I'm being stupid!
#79217 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:51 am
khoelting:
Use either Microsoft Internet Explorer or Firefox. If that still doesn't work temporarily turn off your firewall/virus software in your computer and try again.
#79222 by khoelting
Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:23 am
Thanks for your quick reply. I turned off the firewall, used Internet Explorer, and it says, "cannot display page". I checked the port forwarding thing, but it said you have to get into the telo's advanced settings first, which is what i cannot do. I'm thinking this is something simple, but I'm just not smart enough to figure it out yet. Any more suggestions?
#79227 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 am
khoelting:
Connect a network cable from your Ooma device to your computer's wired Lan port and restart your computer. After the computer is restarted, click on Start in your computer's Start bar. Click on Run. In the blank in the Run window type in cmd and hit enter. A dos window opens. Type in ipconfig at the right side of the C:\ (May contain other words) but type in ipconfig at the right side of the words, and hit enter. See what the Default Gateway IP number is. It should be 172.27.35.1. If it is some other number type that number into you browser's window. http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and hit enter.

If that doesn't let you open Ooma Setup pages, than probably you Ooma device is defective, especially since you are having restart problems also.

Contact Ooma Customer support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
#79228 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:07 am
Similar to what thunderbird said...turn off your computer, connect an ethernet cable between your computer and Ooma's home port, power up your computer, then you should be able to get to the setup page. The reason you can't get to it now is because your Ooma is behind the router (and you didn't setup any port forwarding rules). So set it up so that you can get to it via the port forward method when Ooma is behind the router. Look at thunderbird's instructions.
#79229 by murphy
Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:14 am
Turn off the radio in your laptop to force the laptop to use the hard wired connection.
#79237 by khoelting
Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:25 am
Thanks again for all your help. Unfortunately I still can't get to the settings. I shut down the laptop, connected a cable from it to the home port on my telo, restarted. the default gateway ip# was 172.27.35.1, which i typed in the browser. again, the page would not display. Am I correct to think I can't do the port forward thing until I can get into the advanced settings for the ooma? If so, any suggestions on what I can try next. Sorry I seem to be so dense, but I'm just not very technically savvy. Oh, I also tried the above 3 times, as well as restarting the modem and router...all to no avail. I hate to think this unit is defective...i still think it's me. Thanks!
#79241 by tomcat
Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:57 am
khoelting -
If you haven't already, disconnect the network cable to the ooma's internet port and leave it empty. Make sure your laptop is still plugged into the ooma's Home port. Reboot your telo and wait a minute or two then reboot your laptop. Now, try accessing the setup page and let us know if that makes any difference.
#79242 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:02 pm
khoelting:
If you included the http:// when you typed http://172.27.35.1 into your browser's window, and had the firewall/virus software turned off while trying and was using firefox or Internet explorer, it wasn't you, it's the Ooma unit itself.

Your next step is to contact Ooma. Be sure to let them know that your Ooma unit is also restarting by itself also. If your Ooma device is within the one year warrenty period, Ooma will probably send you another unit, postage paid both ways. But you will have to "jump through some hoops" for them first. Let us know how you come out.

Contact Ooma Customer support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST