Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#78867 by pete_c
Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:25 pm
I am curious if I have made a mistake setting up my Ooma Telo.

The Setup home page shows

Your ooma Network is Connected (1555-555-1212)

Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Connected

Phone Line: Disconnected

Ooma Services

Phone Setup: Your phone line is configured for the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled

Voice Mail: Enabled

I have configured the Telo internally behind the firewall.
Why does my Phone Line show Disconnected and my second line enabled?

I have not configured a second line. It appears to be working fine at this time with no issues.

I am just curious about the status.
#78874 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:15 am
pete_c wrote:Why does my Phone Line show Disconnected and my second line enabled?

Phone Line shows disconnected when you don't plug a phone into the "phone" port.
Second line enabled doesn't mean you have configured a second line. I am guessing it is to tell you you have instant second line enabled (Premier). If you can call out and take calls without issues, things are fine.
#78880 by murphy
Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:48 am
lbmofo wrote:
pete_c wrote:Why does my Phone Line show Disconnected and my second line enabled?

Phone Line shows disconnected when you don't plug a phone into the "phone" port.

Sorry to disagree but "Phone line disconnected" means that there is not a working land line connected to the Wall port.
That is the normal case if you did not do land line integration (which IMHO should be removed from the product).
#78907 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:51 am
murphy wrote:
lbmofo wrote:

Sorry to disagree but "Phone line disconnected" means that there is not a working land line connected to the Wall port.
That is the normal case if you did not do land line integration (which IMHO should be removed from the product).

Hi murphy, my bad. I think I was fooling the Hub into thinking that a landline is connected to the "wall" port because I am combining "phone" and the "wall" port before feeding into my walljack.

Clicking on the "?" button on the page tells:

Phone Line - A "Connected" status indicates a powered phone line is connected to the "WALL" port of the ooma Hub. Normally a powered line is detected when the "WALL" port of the ooma Hub is plugged into a phone jack with an active landline.
#79022 by pete_c
Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 am
Thanks Guys.

I currently have the phone lines (patch panel) plugged into the "phone" jack.

It works fine. I will try it next in the "wall" jack; just to see if it changes anything.
#79023 by southsound
Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:21 am
pete_c wrote:Thanks Guys.

I currently have the phone lines (patch panel) plugged into the "phone" jack.

It works fine. I will try it next in the "wall" jack; just to see if it changes anything.

The WALL jack is only used if you chose the dreaded "landline integration." It has no other purpose. You will not obtain dial tone or any other useful communication from the WALL jack.
#79046 by vicw
Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:02 pm
That indication had confused me, too, but since everything was working well, I ignored it. Seems to me that Ooma might think about providing a clearer description of its meaning on the Home Screen. That whole Land Line setup thing had me scratching my head in wonder, but fortunately, I don't have one anyway.

While waiting for my phone number to be ported over, I've been happily using the Telo with the old phone number forwarded to the temporary Ooma number. Four days into it, and no complaints yet from the distaff half, knock on wood. Voice quality and operation generally has been excellent so far.
#79048 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:11 pm
vicw wrote:Four days into it, and no complaints yet from the distaff half, knock on wood.

Welcome and I am glad the butch half is liking it so far :P
#79103 by pete_c
Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:24 am
Thanks southsound.

Noticed that the "wall" jack doesn't give me a dial tone.

So maybe as vicw pointed out a better description of the home screen status

"Phone Line: Disconnected"

piece is better described somewhere when installing the Ooma Telo behind a firewall.
#79106 by tomcat
Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:32 am
southsound wrote:The WALL jack is only used if you chose the dreaded "landline integration." It has no other purpose. You will not obtain dial tone or any other useful communication from the WALL jack.

I think instead of "Wall" it should be relabeled "Landline" since that is the only thing it is used for. It would avoid a lot of confusion.