Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#78691 by Eternal
Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:09 am
Is there no way to use the home port on the telo when its modem > router > telo and have the device on the home port be part of the local network?

I tried changing the network to be in the same range as the router, but the telo doesnt like that :(
#78693 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:05 am
Eternal wrote:Is there no way to use the home port on the telo when its modem > router > telo and have the device on the home port be part of the local network?

I tried changing the network to be in the same range as the router, but the telo doesnt like that :(

Many people have tried to merge both router ranges, but I haven't heard of anyone having success.

If you need more ports for your home's LAN, most people will purchanse a switch and use it. They connect the switch to one of their router LAn ports and nothing to the Ooma device's home port. The other devices that are required to be installed are connected to the switch.

A switch is a port mutiplier, which will allow your router IP numbers to be issued to other devices. I have two Cisco eight port switches in my home's LAN and they function very well.
#78725 by tomcat
Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:15 pm
Eternal wrote:where can i request that they add the function of using the telo as a switch in the firmware?

If you are wanting to access your telo's home ethernet port in order to access your telo's setup page, then thunderbird wrote a nice "how-to" for accessing the setup page from the telo's internet port. This will allow you access the telo's setup page from your router's LAN without having to change cables around.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11094&p=77193#p77193

NOTE: you do not want to use this configuration if your telo is in your router's DMZ or if your telo is ever put between your modem and your router. This will expose your telo's setup page to the internet.
#78741 by Eternal
Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:21 am
im not going power an extra switch to use the port that the ooma is taking up when it has a port on it

if it can function as a router, it can function as a switch; they jsut need to enable it in the firmware