Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#92058 by jafriede
Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:24 pm
Lapwolf wrote:My setup is:

DSL Modem (bridge mode) -> OOMA (only QOS config, no PPoE logins) -> Router (Handles PPoE login)

This setup has worked flawlessly on AT&T in both CA & FL. The router handles the DSL login and DHCP for my network and OOMA handles DNS and phone calls...

I know this is an old post, but I am curious how Ooma can handle Qos in front of the router which does PPoE. Right now my setup is DSL Model (bridge mode) -> WRT54GL wireless router (Handles PPoE & Qos) -> Ooma. I would like to do it the "recommended" way with Ooma handling the Qos but I didn't think it was possible with my configuration. Any help would be appreciated.
#92059 by thunderbird
Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:36 pm
jafriede wrote:
Lapwolf wrote:My setup is:

DSL Modem (bridge mode) -> OOMA (only QOS config, no PPoE logins) -> Router (Handles PPoE login)

This setup has worked flawlessly on AT&T in both CA & FL. The router handles the DSL login and DHCP for my network and OOMA handles DNS and phone calls...

I know this is an old post, but I am curious how Ooma can handle Qos in front of the router which does PPoE. Right now my setup is DSL Model (bridge mode) -> WRT54GL wireless router (Handles PPoE & Qos) -> Ooma. I would like to do it the "recommended" way with Ooma handling the Qos but I didn't think it was possible with my configuration. Any help would be appreciated.

Last April there was an Ooma problem logging in to PPPoE in Ooma Setup. But since I believe that's been fixed.

In Ooma Setup there is also Quality of Control settings, accessed by typing http://172.27.35.1 in you computer browser window. The computer’s wired LAN port has to be connected to the Ooma Telo Home port with a network cable with Wi-Fi temporarily turned off in the computer, or a computer connected to a Router that is connected to the Ooma Telo Home port. With a Modem-Ooma-Router connection, in Ooma Setup you can also click on the Internet tab and then click the down arrow following Connection Type:, and select PPPoE. Then add the Name and Password, then go down below and click on Update Device. Reboot the Ooma device to get an Internet connection.

The recommended way is to connect Modem-Ooma-Router.

But usually with PPPoE there is a Modem/Router. So if you have a Modem/Router, in every case you have to connect behind a Router.

If you are having problems, and you have a Modem/Router, turn off your Firewall in the Modem/Router. This is because the WRT54GL wireless Router also has a Firewall, and having both turned on causes Ooma problems.

Now days with the addition of the Ooma Telo USB Wireless Wi-Fi dongle, there really isn't a Recommended way for connecting the Ooma Telo to the Internet.

Connect to the Internet the way that works best for the Ooma Telo and you.