Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#78225 by kc4uai
Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:47 am
All,

I'm running into some interesting problems getting everything to work like I expect with my Verizon FIOS service.

I've got an internet connection that routinely exceeds 5 Mbs down and 1 Mbs up. (tests at 5.5/1.7)

I've attempted to wire up the Telo in two configurations, both with unsatisfactory results.

First, I just wired the Telo to my network like any other device though the "internet" connector (configuration A). Everything works, but the call quality is pretty bad with very noticeable delay and lots of jitter. The rest of my network devices seemed to be working great in this configuration though. I figured the delay and quality problems had to do with poor quality of service in my heavily loaded network so I went to plan B…

Next, I tried to use the Telo wired between my modem and the router (configuration B) which seemed to get me much better voice quality, but now my Set Top Boxes have difficulty streaming on demand video. The video streams will play a few seconds, then drop out at what seems to be regular intervals.

I'm thinking the problem is with the QOS bandwidth settings on the Telo (set to 1500). The reason I think this is an issue is because the Set Top Boxes stream though the internet connection and I'm guessing my provider doesn't count that bandwidth as part of my limits. But, if I up the QOS settings I run the risk of voice quality problems because my *internet* bandwidth and the set top bandwidth limits are not the same, yet they go over the same wire (and though the telo device.) Perhaps the streaming to the set top boxes gets interrupted every time the telo handshakes with the home office which puts the local QOS limits on the connection briefly.

The only idea I have at this point is to some how get the Set Top Boxes on their own isolated network segment, then pass the rest of the traffic though the Telo and into my network. However, this is going to take a bit more network equipment than I currently have so before I buy more stuff I thought I'd ask for ideas.

Any other ideas out there? Have I missed some configuration item?
#78230 by kc4uai
Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:12 pm
lbmofo wrote:Try the optimal setup (this one is for Ooma between modem and router): viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
Do the built in modem port MAC address.

Yea, that's how we have it right now. Phone calls are great, video streaming on the Set Top Boxes is broken.

Modem ===> Telo <==> Router <==\\==> Home Network
..........................................\\
............................................\\=> Set Top boxes

When I tried this the voice quality was horrid with lots of delay but the set top boxes and my home network all work fine:

Modem ===> Router <==||==> Home Network
.............................||==> Set Top Boxes
..............................\\==> Telo

I'm thinking of doing something like this:

Modem ===> Router <==\\==> Telo <===> Home Network (subject to 5/1 bandwidth limits)
..............................\\==== Set Top Box Network (No Bandwidth limits)

But this will require additional network equipment to accomplish.

I was hoping for another option beyond spending more money on equipment.