Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#78107 by tpir72
Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:17 pm
Hi,
I've been scouring the internet for setup guides without a clear path. I have two new Hubs (one per line) a Router with DDWRT firmware (not tomato) and a Cox cable modem.
I plugged the two Hubs via their Modem jacks into two open router ports and restarted everything. No blue tab on either hub and this is where I'm getting lost in the propper setup.
The hubs have IP address 172.xxx.xxx.xxx by default and I'm using 192.168.1.1 for my router/gateway and all the devices on my network. Should I change these hubs to static IP's with 192.168.1.xxx? I use OpenDNS on my router with both their default server IPs.
I'm lost and don't know what to try next. I opened all the ports OOMA requires in the router with Port Forwarding.
OomaPortTriggering.jpg
OomaPortTriggering.jpg (87.77 KiB) Viewed 4692 times

Is there a sticky step by step guide that would layout the specifics? The manual isn't that helpful for advanced specifics.

I assume the tab should turn blue evening though my current numbers are being ported away from Vonage and the porting isn't complete???

Thanks for the help,

Regards,

Terry
#78108 by southsound
Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:25 pm
The IP address assigned by the Home Network port is indeed 172.27.35.1 but since you have nothing plugged into that port you don't need to worry about that address. With the hub set up in default mode, it will obtain an address in the 192.168.0.XX range if that is what your router is offering. I have a hub and a Telo both running off a switch connected to my Actiontec ADSL modem/router and they both boot up just fine. Try them individually to make sure you are not forgetting to open a port. If the don't work in single mode, then you know the problem is with the router and not the dual hub configuration.
#78109 by tpir72
Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:04 pm
Thank you very much. I will try these now that the ports are open.

If it is setup correctly then I should only see a blue tab and nothing else (light wise) until the numbers are ported?

Regards,

Terry
#78111 by murphy
Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:48 am
When a hub is online the tab will be blue. No other lights should be on.
If you chose landline integration when you activated a hub you must connect the landline to the Wall jack on the hub for it to go online. (If you got a temporary number when you activated, you did not choose landline integration).
#78195 by tpir72
Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:16 pm
Thanks Murphy,
I did choose landline integration.

Is there a way to toggle this off in My Ooma so I can just see if the hub will come online?

Once my numbers are ported in April will landline integration auto toggle off?

I never dreamed setting up Ooma would be this difficult compared to the 5 minute Vonage setup.

Regards,

Terry
#78205 by murphy
Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:27 am
tpir72 wrote:Thanks Murphy,
I did choose landline integration.

Is there a way to toggle this off in My Ooma so I can just see if the hub will come online?

Once my numbers are ported in April will landline integration auto toggle off?

I never dreamed setting up Ooma would be this difficult compared to the 5 minute Vonage setup.

Regards,

Terry

The only way to switch from landline integration mode is to call customer support and request that it be done. They will have to issue you a temporary phone number. If you connect a phone cable from your landline to the Wall jack of the Ooma it should go online. Landline integration will go away when your number port completes.

Unfortunately you picked landline integration. If you had picked the other option it would have been exactly the same as hooking up a Vonage adapter. I have two of those gathering dust somewhere in the house. One by Motorola had internet pass through while the other by Linksys could only be connected to a router.

I have a hub and a Telo which are both connected to my router. There is nothing connected to their Home jacks.
#78261 by tpir72
Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:20 pm
Thanks Murphy,
Can you tell me if the Droid App only works after my number is finished porting? I keep getting "Call Failed Network Disconnected". I have Virgin Mobil's (Sprint) LG Optimus V. Even the smallest plan has unlimited data.
I added $10 to my Ooma account in case it needed to see funds there to work. I've had the phone two weeks and this app hasn't worked once.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Terry
#78265 by tpir72
Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:42 am
Thanks, That was it. All I had to do was regenerate the password and re-enter it.

Now if I could just figure out how to have the Ooma app be the default dial out/answer device instead of "Dialer".

Regards,

Terry