Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#5577 by actigraph
Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:23 pm
I just got the ooma, it works fine. However I got problems with landline.

I am using AT&T local phone and DSL service now and want to use landline with ooma together. so I installed the ooma followed the instruction on page 32 of m.

I used the splitter to connect landline to the "wall" port on ooma and connect the phone to the "phone"port on ooma.

However when I tried to call my landline number from my cellphone, the phone wonot ring when ooma is working.
(blue light on ooma tab) it only rings when ooma is off (blinking red on ooma tab).

I donot know how to solve the problem. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
#5582 by WayneDsr
Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:47 pm
You landline will not work with ooma unless you registered the hub as "ooma WITH a landline". If you chose "ooma without a landline" which is what it sounds like, your landline will not ring through ooma.
You will have to add call forwarding to your landline and point it to your new ooma phone number.

OR if you just want to use your landline by itself, connect a regular phone to a phone jack (no scout). Your landline will ring in when called.

Wayne
#5583 by WayneDsr
Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:49 pm
And to add to that, when you turn off ooma, or if your network goes down, your landline will automatically take over as long as you have that WALL port on the ooma hub attached to a wall jack.

Wayne
#5584 by actigraph
Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:58 pm
is there anyway I can change the setting from "ooma without a landline" to "ooma with a landline"?

Thanks

WayneDsr wrote:You landline will not work with ooma unless you registered the hub as "ooma WITH a landline". If you chose "ooma without a landline" which is what it sounds like, your landline will not ring through ooma.
You will have to add call forwarding to your landline and point it to your new ooma phone number.

OR if you just want to use your landline by itself, connect a regular phone to a phone jack (no scout). Your landline will ring in when called.

Wayne
#5585 by WayneDsr
Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:00 pm
You have to call customer service to do that.
AND you'll have to add caller ID and call forwarding on busy to your landline phone for it to work correctly.

Wayne
#5586 by actigraph
Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:05 pm
Thanks. I appreciate your help

WayneDsr wrote:You have to call customer service to do that.
AND you'll have to add caller ID and call forwarding on busy to your landline phone for it to work correctly.

Wayne
#5829 by murphy
Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:39 pm
turtlebud wrote:can you just as easily do the flip? change from "ooma with a landline" to ooma without a landline"?

Yes, call them and they will make the change.
#5901 by grecni
Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:21 pm
I was trying to do this same thing. I called about flipping back to ooma with a land line, the one caveat is support told me that with that set up all local calls, going in and out, will be through the land line, and all long distance through ooma.

I changed my local service to a per call rate ($7.50 a month + 3.5 cents a minute for outgoing calls, no charge for incomming calls). This was actually cheaper than dry looping my line (AT&T wanted $10 above the DSL rate for the dry loop with no local calling and I have a line if power goes out).

I also wanted to keep local incoming service because ooma currently does not have a local phone number for my calling area. The number they were able to give me would be long distance for people in my town (they are looking to see if they can get a local number).

With this change, I do not want any local calls going through my landline unless ooma is out. The only alternative I could think of was to use the ooma splitter and have a line going to ooma and a line going to line 2 of my two line phone. Not perfect but at best I could figure out for now.