Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#77846 by Glacier
Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:36 pm
Glacier wrote:On my first post I stated wireless did not work... but actually it did - just took while for that computer to boot up.

I think you missed my earlier post.... I can get wireless internet. The problem I'm having now is that I no longer can print. I had this problem before and now it's back. I did try changing the channel on the router. I think somehow I may have plugged in things wrong.... just can't figure out what.
#77847 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:07 pm
Glacier:
Does the printer have a wired network connection from the router, or do you use a Wireless connection to the printer?
Or is the printer connected directly to the computer?

If your printer is using a wired network connection, make sure the printer network cable connection is connected to the router. Don't connect it to the Ooma device's Home port. Connect nothing to the Ooma device's Home port.
#77848 by Glacier
Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:27 pm
The printer is wireless. The computer I use is wired but I use the wireless laptop to print through. The wired computer is not in the same room as the printer so they are not directly connected. I can no longer see the laptop computer on my Network Places.

There is nothing plugged into the Home Network port... only the To Internet port of the Ooma.
#77850 by Glacier
Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:45 pm
HP All in One 2710.... I can print from the other computer - just not the wired one. I only have Ooma connected to the router but maybe my router to modem is wrong?
#77855 by murphy
Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:46 pm
It sounds like you have an adhoc network set up between your laptop and the printer.
The printer needs to connect to the router via the infrastructure network so it will be on the router's LAN.
The wireless laptop needs to go through the router to get to the printer.
#77857 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:00 pm
Glacier:

Sorry about being so disorganized today.

Your printer should print even if you modem is disconnected. So it's not the connection between the modem and router.

What operating system do you use?

Are you using (wireless) Wi-Fi connection or (wireless) Bluetooth connection to the printer?

Are you using a peer to peer connection for you printer? In other words can you shut off your router and still print to your printer using your laptop?
#77858 by tomcat
Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:08 pm
Glacier wrote:The printer is wireless. The computer I use is wired but I use the wireless laptop to print through.

It sounds like he may have the printer configured on the laptop, then using the laptop to share it out to the rest of the network.

EDIT:
murphy wrote:It sounds like you have an adhoc network set up between your laptop and the printer.

Sorry, murphy. I didn't mean to step on your toes there. :?
Last edited by tomcat on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#77867 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:39 am
Glacier:
First make sure both computers and the printer is powered:
If you are using firewall security software on one or both computers, turn it off momentarily in both computers and see if the Laptop computer Icon reappears in you Network Places in the wired network computer.

Next if that doesn't work, open your Laptop computer's Printer and Fax window.
Right click on the Hp printer and click on Properties.
Click on the Sharing tab. Click the button "Share This Printer". Click Apply button below and Click Ok.

If it doesn't work, next try this:
(Do for both computers)
Right click on the "My Computer" icon and click on properties.
Click on "Computer Name" tab. Click on "Change".
Make sure the "Workgroup" name is the same for both computers.
This action should allow each computer Icon to appear in my network places.
If it doesn't, change the "Workgroup" name in both computer's to a different "Same" name.
Click "Ok" and than "Ok".

If it doesn't work, next try this:
Using the Wired Network computer:
Click on "My Network Places". Click on "Entire Network". Click on "Microsoft Windows Network".
Click on the Icon that is in the window that opens. (That Icon name should be your "Workgroup" name.)
Click on the Laptop computer Icon. You should be able to see an Icon for the HP printer.
If you double click on the HP printer Icon, it will install a HP printer in the Local Printer and Fax window, accessed by going to Windows Start menu, than Settings.
Print a test page.