Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#5548 by Dave
Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:31 am
Hi, I've been trying to get my Ooma to work behind my D-Link DIR-655, in this format:

Modem -> Router -> Ooma (Comps connects to Router)

But I don't know how to set up my the Ooma Hub so that it connects in this way.

Here's what I have done:

The Hub won't connect unless I connect a comp to it's "Home" port first. It seems that when I connect my comp to the Hub, my router recognizes the Hub as my computer, with my computer's MAC address (since the Modem Port MAC address copies my Comp MAC Address).

BUT, when I change that in the Ooma setup to the "Use Built In" MAC address, the Hub refuses to establish both an internet and VoIP connection and my router does not recognize the Hub. (even if I have then have my comp connected to the router)

What I was thinking of doing was just connecting the Hub to my router, seeing it show up on my Router's DHCP list, reserving the Hub's IP Address, and setting that up in the DMZ zone.

But, the Hub isn't being recognized by my router! What am I doing wrong?

(BTW, for the Hub's setup, Network Connection is set to Automatic)

(And yes, I have set it up this way: Modem -> Ooma -> Router, but then, I have a problem with porting, and I really don't want to drastically change my router's settings so that it'll play nice with Ooma. I rather set my QoS on my router.)
#5549 by WayneDsr
Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:42 am
You should be able to plug the ooma hub directly into your router with no change of settings on the hub.
Make sure you have the default settings on the ooma hub. If your router is set up for dhcp the ooma hub should receive an IP from your router once it's connected, just as with any pc attached to your router.

If you changed some settings in the ooma hub you may need to change them back to default.

Wayne
#5550 by Dave
Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:50 am
I changed all the settings back to default. And everything seems to work now with one caveat though. The ooma hub takes on my computer's MAC address (The default setting for the hub is Automatic). Why is that? What can't I just set the hub to "Use Built In" MAC address? And this seems to impact my computer's network speed. How do I get the hub to use it's own MAC address?