Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#77550 by tkocur
Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:55 pm
I just received an Ooma from Amazon and went to work on setting it up yesterday. I have Roadrunner Cable service through Time Warner. The original configuration is a Surfboard Cable Modem to a Linksys WRT54G. I have a PC plugged into the router and various other laptops which operate wirelessly.

I initially attempted to do the 2A configuration (Ooma in between Router and PC). Nothing seemed to work in this scenario (although I have to do this in order to access the setup.ooma.com to see my configuration. Ooma did not work nor did Internet.

Next I attempted the 2B configuration (Ooma between Cable Modem and Router). I was able to get the Ooma up and running so as to make and receive phone calls. Unfortunately, this killed my Internet connectivity (both ethernet- connected to the router and wireless.

I've tried making some of the recommended changes to my Ooma config: changed from Automatic to DHCP; using Built-In MAC address; modified upstream and downstream QOS parameters (numbers were given to me by Ooma support). My speed test showed 1500 up, 220 down. I was told to use 1305 and 195. None of this has made a difference.

As it stands now, I can either have a functional Ooma or a functioning Internet but not both. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
#77553 by murphy
Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:04 pm
Turn off your modem, ooma, and router.
Connect Internet port of ooma to modem.
Connect WAN port of router to Home port of Ooma.
Connect PC to router LAN port.
Turn on modem and wait until it syncs up with your ISP.
Turn on Ooma and wait until it finishes booting (all indicators blue)
Turn on your router and wait until it finishes booting.
Test for dial tone.
Test for internet service on computer.

The single thing that gets most people into trouble is the fact that the modem must be turned off everytime that you change what is connected to it's LAN port.
#77559 by lbmofo
Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:59 am
tkocur wrote:Murphy,

I did exactly as you instructed. When all was completed, I had Ooma up and running but still no Internet connectivity.

Did you reboot your computer as well?
#77561 by tkocur
Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:52 am
I do not think I rebooted the PC. I will add that to the mix. I did do an ipconfig /release followed by an ipconfig /renew, though. I'll see what happens.
#77566 by atici
Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:19 am
Try this:
cable modem --> router --> ooma
(and computer connected to router also but not to ooma so that both ooma and your computer get addresses from the router)
I think this is the best setup but your router should support QoS for optimal results.
#77597 by tkocur
Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:10 am
atrici,

I attempted the following:

(and computer connected to router also but not to ooma so that both ooma and your computer get addresses from the router)

My Internet works, as expected but the Ooma does not. It gives the following lights (all blue): trahs can, envelope, 2, and the top three flashing.
#77598 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:43 am
tkocur wrote:atrici,

I attempted the following:

My Internet works, as expected but the Ooma does not. It gives the following lights (all blue): trahs can, envelope, 2, and the top three flashing.

Go back into Ooma Setup by temporarily accessing the Ooma device's Home port with a comuter connected with a network cable from the Ooma devices Home port to the computer's wired LAN port. Type in http://172.27.35.1. The Ooma setup pages open. Under Internet setup, return the Connection type back to Automatic.

Than reboot your modem, than when the modem is done rebooting, rebooth the router, that when the router is done rebooting, reboot the Ooma device. Try using this procedure. Some times you have to reboot everything two or three times.
#77615 by tkocur
Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:18 pm
Thunderbird,

Things are going from bad to worse. I just spent the last 2 hours attempting to view the Ooma config using the browser. No matter what I tried, I could not access it (either by using IP address or support.ooma.com). I am really frustrated and stumped right now. I'm not sure what to do. On the plus side, I can still access the Internet if I pull out the Ooma. Also, the Ooma still works (although it still takes down the Internet). Bottom line, functionally, I am slightly worse off now because I can't change the Ooma config. Is there a hard factory reset on the Ooma or am I constrained to the web?
#77617 by murphy
Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:45 pm
You must connect a computer to the Home port of the Ooma box to access the setup page.
If you are using Kaspersky AV, disable it because it will block access to the setup page.