Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#77265 by FiveThumbs
Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:31 am
Just set up my new Telo and it seems to work fine. I activated with the option to share the landline with the Telo as it seemed like the simplest way to a) avoid an additional number while b) testing the system out.

Now I want to start the process of porting our land line number to the Telo, which I understand. I wonder if someone can elaborate on what to expect from the phone company and why Support says there's an issue with porting if I get my DSL on the same number.

So, first: Once Ooma files for the port and it goes through, what does the phone company do with the existing account? Do they just cancel it? Assign a new number?

And, second: I do have my DSL running on that same number. Support docs imply this is a problem, yet you can specify "DSL" type during the port process. I want to keep my DSL service and lose the voice service. Is there a sequence of events I need to complete to accomplish this?

Thanks.
#77959 by EA PA
Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:15 pm
FiveThumbs wrote:Just set up my new Telo and it seems to work fine. I activated with the option to share the landline with the Telo as it seemed like the simplest way to a) avoid an additional number while b) testing the system out.

Now I want to start the process of porting our land line number to the Telo, which I understand. I wonder if someone can elaborate on what to expect from the phone company and why Support says there's an issue with porting if I get my DSL on the same number.

So, first: Once Ooma files for the port and it goes through, what does the phone company do with the existing account? Do they just cancel it? Assign a new number?

And, second: I do have my DSL running on that same number. Support docs imply this is a problem, yet you can specify "DSL" type during the port process. I want to keep my DSL service and lose the voice service. Is there a sequence of events I need to complete to accomplish this?

Thanks.

If you give me a few weeks and move this up again, Ill let you know what happens when the number gets ported away. I know someone that just ported a few days ago (porting complete) and did not call to cancel. I expect that the account will be closed automatically, but there is nothing better than a test! Ill let you know the results to number 1.
#77963 by tomcat
Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:40 pm
FiveThumbs wrote:And, second: I do have my DSL running on that same number. Support docs imply this is a problem, yet you can specify "DSL" type during the port process. I want to keep my DSL service and lose the voice service. Is there a sequence of events I need to complete to accomplish this?

You will want to call you provider first to see if they offer a DSL only package. This is called a dry loop. If they don't then more than likely both service will be canceled after the port (which won't do you any good).

If they do offer a DSL only package then you will want to separate your DSL and phone services into different accounts. Then, start the port process. When your number finishes the port, your landline will automatically be canceled.
#78349 by FiveThumbs
Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:21 pm
Thanks guys, and sorry, I lost track of this thread.

What with the nightmare getting AT&T to upgrade my DSL service I have been busy just trying to communicate with the outside world.

Actually, I think I've decided to keep the land line. The basic service is only a few bucks a month, I save the port fee, and I have a bit of redundancy (AT&T seems to like to disable the DSL or land service at random intervals, but not usually both at the same time :? )