Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#77191 by superdave
Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:16 pm
My configuration is Modem -> Router -> OOMA.
MODEM Port MAC Address - Set Built in.
The internal port is not connected.
External IP set to static.
DMZ set to internal ip of OOMA ( to connect to it from lan)
My connection is solid, > 20Mb down and > 4Mb up.

The device will work fine for several hours on incoming and outgoing calls. Then randomly it freezes. This has been happening for several weeks (since I have had it). When it freezes I cannot connect to it on the external port forward or the internal connection. I would love to see some logs on it to know what is happening. Can someone from support check the logs?

Thanks,
Dave
#77208 by superdave
Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:06 pm
Thanks for the response. Info below

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 1.2 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2741896 bps
Upload speed: 1039464 bps
Download quality of service: 69 %
Upload quality of service: 69 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 112 ms
Average download pause: 4ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 82 ms
Average round trip time to server: 92 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 8800000bps
Route concurrency: 3.2094579
Download TCP forced idle: 35 %
Maximum route speed: 6393656bps
#77251 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:54 am
superdave wrote:Thanks for the response. Info below

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Packet loss: you --> server: 1.2 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9
Download quality of service: 69 %
Upload quality of service: 69 %
Maximum TCP delay: 112 ms

Packet loss: you --> server: 1.2 % Tells us that either you modem or router is having problems. The Packet Loss value should be 0.0%. The other values listed above are marginal, (probably caused by the Packet loss issue).

Troubleshooting isolation:
The next step would be to connect, using network cable, a computer directly to you modem. Than run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ a few times, than click on left lower tab, copy and post results here.
If you find that the Speedtest results are not within limits, than probably your modem is defective.

If your modem is defective, stop and deal with that problem. But if the modem is okay continue on.
The next thing to do would be to connect your Ooma device to the Modem. than connect a network cable to Ooma device's "Home port and run speed test again, and post results here. If those results are okay, you router may be defective.
#77252 by superdave
Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:12 am
I am not able to connect the device directly to the modem. The modem is in a separate building and I have a wireless bridge between the two. That is also the reason for the packet loss. Do these devices require a perfect connection? I can understand interment call quality issues, but, why do they become unresponsive?

I have used the same connection with another VOIP provider and had no issues with it.

Thanks!
#77255 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:48 am
superdave wrote:I am not able to connect the device directly to the modem. The modem is in a separate building and I have a wireless bridge between the two. That is also the reason for the packet loss. Do these devices require a perfect connection? I can understand interment call quality issues, but, why do they become unresponsive?

I have used the same connection with another VOIP provider and had no issues with it.

Thanks!

Some things to look at:
I would think that maybe your Wi-Fi connection strength is changing. My/some routers will allow you to access the received Wi-Fi strength readings. If you can access that router page when things are operating normally, than again when the Ooma has slowed down, maybe you can compare and see what’s going on.
(You could also use a computer connected to your Wi-Fi, to see the changes.)

I saw on another forum that suggested resetting the wireless bridge settings if there was any packet loss. It said that something wasn’t set up right when packet loss is seen.

One persons Modem and router were located to far apart, which degrades the Wi-Fi signal too much causing packet loss.
#77258 by superdave
Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:56 am
Thanks,

I have access to both bridge antennas to determine signal strength. They stay very steady at -70db, the distance between the 2 is 1500ft with one of them being inside a bldg. I can try some configuration changes to see if I can sacrifice some speed to get the packet loss down.

Is the OOMA crashing a known issue when there is a connection packet drop? Why can't it reconnect if it loses a connection? Are there any internal logs that can be accessed to see why it is crashing?
#77285 by Lilly's_Closet
Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:54 pm
Fist, I am hoping that you are not sealing your neighbours unsecured wireless connect...lol.

Second, had to setup a similar setup a few months back when a friend of mine wanted to share (push) his wireless internet connection to a building across the street and the residents of the building were using ooma.
We had it setup with two WW-DRT routers and a repeater, initially the internet service across the street was very good, however, ooma was very choppy with the packet loss. To resolve it we ended up building a directional antenna out of a Pringles can (directions are all over the internet) and pointing it at the other bridge. This resolved his ooma connectivity issue and increased internet speed. Unfortunately, someone though the Pringles can was trash threw it away so he ended up buy a powered directional antenna.

My point here is that it can be done but the key is to deliver the best signal to that remote location and a powered directional antenna will more than likely do that for you.
#77288 by superdave
Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:30 pm
Hi, nope not stealing the neighbours wifi, but, it is coming from the neighbour. I am set back 2000 feet from the road so I cannot get service back here. My neighbour let me add and pay for service to their house. I use 2 powerstation 2's to push the signal back (http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/GS2400.php). They work great, except for the little packet loss. On average I can download at 15MB and upload at 5mb. My powerstation is outside,but, the other is inside so I am losing a lot there. My connection is on average -70 DB between the 2. I also have a DDWRT router on each side of the bridges, one connecting to the modem. When the unit is not frozen I can make and receive calls and they sound great, barely if any lag. But randomly, usually after a couple hours, the unit start flashes red and I cannot connect to it on either network port and cannot make calls. I am going to work on the packet loss, but, that should cause the box to freeze should it?
#77289 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:33 pm
superdave wrote:Thanks,

I have access to both bridge antennas to determine signal strength. They stay very steady at -70db, the distance between the 2 is 1500ft with one of them being inside a bldg. I can try some configuration changes to see if I can sacrifice some speed to get the packet loss down.

Is the OOMA crashing a known issue when there is a connection packet drop? Why can't it reconnect if it loses a connection? Are there any internal logs that can be accessed to see why it is crashing?

If you reserve a static IP address for your Ooma device in your router, and stop MAC Address Spoofing by selecting "Use Built-In" MAC address in your "Ooma Setup pages, accessed with http://172.27.35.1, your Ooma device, in most cases the Ooma device will reconnect by it self, if the Internet signal is momentarily lost, than comes back.
Since you are already using "Built-In MAC Address, you only have to reserve a Static IP address for your Ooma device in your router.