Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#5511 by murphy
Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:19 pm
AMPERE wrote:This makes me think why can't Ooma activation page validate for right MAC address. They should know what item they have shipped/sold and based on that they should not let users activate an incorrect device.

This way any one can set up a virtual # for free without a phone connection. I can still dial the # I had selected in the first attempt and it goes in to voice mail which I can access it online via lounge.

I bought mine from Best Buy. ooma would have no idea what MAC address I got.

You should call support and have them delete the account with the incorrect MAC address. That will cause no end of grief for the person who buys the hub that actually has that MAC address.
#5516 by WayneDsr
Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:21 pm
Absolutely. Please cancel that first entry. Otherwise they'll end up here!

There are very few number/letters that will trip up the mac address entry, but the 8/B is one of them. Most of the time ooma says: "mac address invalid"

Glad to see that was the issue.

Wayne
#5534 by rully
Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:08 pm
I got mine working too yaayyy!! I am porting my number and apparently, you MUST connect your existing phone line to the WALL port. After I did that, I got blue Ooma light. Awesome!
#5537 by murphy
Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:06 am
rully wrote:I got mine working too yaayyy!! I am porting my number and apparently, you MUST connect your existing phone line to the WALL port. After I did that, I got blue Ooma light. Awesome!

That is only true if you selected the option that says that you want to integrate your land line with ooma. I did not integrate my land line with ooma, my WALL jacks are not connected to the wall, and everything works fine.
#5611 by rully
Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:39 am
Really? I forgot what I picked, this is a bit of annoyance of Ooma. You can't verify what you have entered during the initial setup or activation so you can't double-check things. I sent an email to Ooma support when I first encountered my issue but they never reply.
#5695 by Dennis P
Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:13 pm
You're right, we should make accessible some of the information you entered during your activation process. We'll take a look at that.

To avoid the B/8 problem in the future, we're changing to a different font which hopefully people will be able to read better. We're also looking at adding a checksum character so that we can catch errors before you get too far down the path of activation.
#16965 by phaduman
Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:24 am
So I came upon this thread when I failed to get my ooma HUB to register and after CS call. This is August and the mac address 'B' and '8' problem has been reported many times and Ooma seems to know the prolem for at least 6months and someone from OOma replied to this post back in March that they are working to solve the problem.
The font for B and 8 are still identical on the Ooma HUB I just got from Amazon (possible that it is old stock and doens't have font fix). But I activated with the wrong key and the activation portal didn't do any cross checking, OR at least, DID NOT warn to re-check whether 'B' or '8' - that takes a single person 10mins to make that change to portal to warn the customer of the repurcussion.
I entered wrong MAC, wasted 2hours in the night trying different stuff, couldn't call Tech Support as they are NOT 24x7.

I can understand problems are inevitable, but a start-up working to gain momentum, needs to react quickly to public issues like this 'B' and '8' - it is sad to see that at least 6months have passed about this issue and Ooma hasn't done anything to fix or at least WARN folks in advance about this potential confusion.

CS now says today is sUnday, and to fix this, we need to wait until 48hours before someone (level3 comes on Monday) can fix this. Ridiculous. When I got Vonage service, it was the tiniest little box and I didn't have to do anything as complicated and things were up and running in less than 5mins.

So far, dissatisfied - let's see how this goes. Will wait 2 days to get a Ooma dial-tone now. Re-connecting Vonage to continue to get landline coverage for the time-being.
#16978 by WayneDsr
Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:50 am
Can you start all over again and register the hub online with the correct address?
If you can, then call customer support on Monday and tell them the issue and they will delete the old account.

Wayne
#17039 by niknak
Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:52 pm
...CS now says today is sUnday, and to fix this, we need to wait until 48hours before someone (level3 comes on Monday) can fix this. Ridiculous...

Even if you call a POTS company for a service call or to report trouble on a line you have to wait 24 or more hours