Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#5406 by AMPERE
Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:12 am
Hello,
I just installed/connected Ooma Core in to my network as suggested in the guide with following variations.
A) Config:
CABLE MODEM --> Ooma core (Modem) --> Ooma core (Home) --> DIR-615 D-link router --> Computer/Laptops.

B) Config:
CABLE MODEM --> DIR-615 D-link router --> Ooma core (Modem) --> Ooma core (Home) --> Computer/Laptops.

C) Config:
CABLE MODEM --> DIR-615 D-link router --> Ooma core (Modem) --> Ooma core (Home) -> Computer/Laptops.

When I try to go to http://setup.ooma.com/ I get a screen which says:

INTERNET: connected
Ooma core: Registering ... Please wait

On the 'Status' section all the services are 'Running'. My router/computer is running just fine.

Here's my issue: Ooma tab on the core device keeps blinking 'Red' with [1] [2] and bottom right two buttons are red. Is there something I am missing here? Please help!

Thank you.
AMP
#5410 by murphy
Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:54 am
Did you go to the ooma web site and register your hardware BEFORE you connected it to your network and turned it on?
#5411 by AMPERE
Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:57 am
Yes, I had registered/activated my device on Ooma website. Got a phone # assigned and then next day I got to connecting the device.

murphy wrote:Did you go to the ooma web site and register your hardware BEFORE you connected it to your network and turned it on?
#5412 by murphy
Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:11 am
AMPERE wrote:Here's my issue: Ooma tab on the core device keeps blinking 'Red' with [1] [2] and bottom right two buttons are red. Is there something I am missing here? Please help!

According to page 30 of the user guide, that means that the hub can't find a land line. Is the wall port of the hub connected to a wall jack that has an active land line?
#5413 by AMPERE
Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:17 am
Well, when I activated this device I chose the option of using temporary # till I get my present landline # ported to Ooma. I have a separate phone # from Ooma which is what I needed to get working.

So, right now I have a regular telephone connected on the PHONE port which should be active with my Ooma #.

Thanks for your help.

murphy wrote:
AMPERE wrote:Here's my issue: Ooma tab on the core device keeps blinking 'Red' with [1] [2] and bottom right two buttons are red. Is there something I am missing here? Please help!

According to page 30 of the user guide, that means that the hub can't find a land line. Is the wall port of the hub connected to a wall jack that has an active land line?
#5419 by WayneDsr
Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:31 am
I would start from the beginning.
First, make sure the mac address you gave ooma upon registration is correct. Check "B" for "8" and stuff like that. It has happened in this forum.

Wayne
#5422 by rully
Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:52 am
I was trying setup Ooma last weekend and I have the same problem. The Ooma Core won't connect. I even try to connect Ooma directly to the cable modem with no success.
Where can I check if I have entered the wrong Mac Address? I can at least double check to see if that is or is not the problem.
#5504 by AMPERE
Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:36 pm
Wayne,
You were right on the money. I had entered a 'B' as 8 during the setup. I got it all working fine now. Thank you.

This makes me think why can't Ooma activation page validate for right MAC address. They should know what item they have shipped/sold and based on that they should not let users activate an incorrect device.

This way any one can set up a virtual # for free without a phone connection. I can still dial the # I had selected in the first attempt and it goes in to voice mail which I can access it online via lounge.

WayneDsr wrote:I would start from the beginning.
First, make sure the mac address you gave ooma upon registration is correct. Check "B" for "8" and stuff like that. It has happened in this forum.

Wayne
#5510 by Mike1
Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:17 pm
AMPERE wrote:This makes me think why can't Ooma activation page validate for right MAC address. They should know what item they have shipped/sold and based on that they should not let users activate an incorrect device.

I have been reading these forums for a while and all I can say is I would NEVER sell anything to the general public. People are really demanding and whine and complain over things that end up being out of the control of OOMA. And demand that OOMA jump through hoops to fix there problem, when in reality it's not OOMA's problem.

To answer you question OOMA has no way of knowing what you intended to enter. It is entirely possible that a mac address with a 8 instead of a B exists and is a real OOMA mac address for a different customer.

Put it this way if you gave your phone number to someone. And then when they tried to call you they misdialed by one digit. Then they got upset at you because the person they actually reached on the other end didn't tell them they missed dialed by one diget, what would you tell that person?

If your answer is what I think it is :D My guess is OOMA would love to say the same to many customers but doesn't and offers help anyway.
Last edited by Mike1 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.