Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76902 by dink
Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 am
I have just hooked up my new Telo and ported over my number, and so far everything seems to be working ok. After reading through many other posts, I'm curious if I should change my setup to prevent future problems.

Current setup:
Uverse RG to
8 port switch to
Ooma, 3 Uverse HD boxes, 2 computers, networked harddrive

Most of the internet traffic in the house is via wireless, the computers that are wired don't get much use.

I understand that the Telo should be plugged directly into the RG, but with the switch will it really change much? I have 3 open ethernet ports on the RG yet, should I have my Telo running off one and the switch off of another? Would this effect my Uverse TV boxes?

Also, any recommended settings for the RG or Telo with a Uverse setup?

Thanks much in advance.
#76905 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:59 am
If everything is functioning okay, leave it configured as is. The switch just acts as a router port muliplyer.
The router assigns the IP addresses, through the switch, to the Ooma device and other equipment.
#76906 by dink
Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:08 am
Thanks for taking a look. The only change I've made so far is setting a static IP for the Telo device. My phone was ringing randomly when no call was coming though, but since seems to have stopped since. Looking forward so some new, inexpensive service!
#76947 by dink
Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:29 pm
So the 'phantom rings' are back. My phone rings for a second, but there is no incoming call. Happens at random times. Anyone else experience this before? Using a Uniden DECT 6.0 handset.
#77875 by dink
Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:08 am
So I worked out the kinks with my Ooma setup and everything has been running great for a few days now (huge improvement).

The 'phantom rings' were due to my cordless Uniden DECT 6.0 phone. There must have been an interference problem between the cordless base and the Telo, because after I replaced it with a new Panasonic, the problem went away.

I was having problems with horrible call quality, the Telo going offline (red blinking light) at least once a day, and the UVerse TV constantly freezing up within a week of hooking up the Telo. After getting AT&T to give me a new RG, and trying multiple configurations for the Telo, nothing was getting better or worse. To make things more interesting, the 8-port switch coming off the RG died. When I replaced the switch, everything cleared up and I have not had any problems with my Ooma voice quality or with my Uverse TV since.

Here's my current setup:

RG > 8-Port switch > Ooma, STB's, & Desktops

I opened up the recommended firewall ports that Ooma gave me, and increased the upstream QoS setting on the Telo as instructed by the CS rep, and that's it as far as settings go. Being that I have nothing behind the Telo, I would assume that the QoS settings in the Telo won't do much.

Just wanted to take a minute to share what all happened; hopefully it will help someone out down the line.
#77879 by southsound
Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:42 am
Since you have nothing connected downstream from the Telo, I'd set the QoS on both upstream and downstream to 0 to disable it. I'm guessing here but it may take less processor cycles if you are not setting aside bandwidth to nonexistent devices. Also, while you are in the setup.ooma.com screens, set the MAC address to Use Built-in. The default is Automatic and sometimes it can cause grief.
#77899 by nn5i
Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:07 pm
dink wrote:I understand that the Telo should be plugged directly into the RG, but with the switch will it really change much?

Not to worry. The switch will not cause any problem at all.
#77905 by southsound
Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 pm
nn5i wrote:
dink wrote:I understand that the Telo should be plugged directly into the RG, but with the switch will it really change much?

Not to worry. The switch will not cause any problem at all.

As a confirmation to the above post by nn5i - I have an integrated ADSL modem/router that has only one wired port. I use a Netgear FS116 switch with 16 ports to serve up all our computers, ReplayTV's, printers, and two ooma devices - a hub and a Telo. No problems at all.