Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76908 by rbleach
Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:26 am
I sent Ooma support an e-mail as you suggested. What is the warranty on your refurb? My concern with the refurb is that the warranty would be shorter, wheres with a new one I get a full year plus the Amex 1 year extension again. Plus, I can get it today, instead of waiting for shipping.
#76918 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:31 am
rbleach:

It appears that "Refurbished - Full 1 Year Warranty". Check again if you decide to go that route.

Again, I'd be careful about going out and buying another Ooma right away, so that you don't end up paying reactivation/porting fees, etc. to Ooma. Get all of the information first.
#76920 by rbleach
Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:57 am
Yeah, I'm not going to buy until I get the full story from Ooma. No extra fees for me if I can avoid it -- I mean, I got Ooma because I'm a cheap SOB anyway. You don't happen to know the going rate for a refurb telo bought directly from Ooma, do you? Maybe it's worth the wait.
#76982 by rbleach
Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:55 am
Wow. I just got an e-mail from American Express telling me that they approved my warranty claim and will be crediting my account (they're even crediting me the shipping charge, which I didn't even ask for). Talk about customer service! Go Amex!

Also, I got a response from Ooma customer service saying it was o.k. to buy a new Telo, but instead of activating it, they gave me an 800 number to call to do an account transfer so I keep my phone numbers and all my settings. So, I'm off to Best Buy to get a new Telo.

I really wasn't expecting this to be as easy as it was. Kudos to Amex and Ooma customer service! :D Hopefully, I'll be back up and running in a few hours. Yay!

--Bob
#76986 by EA PA
Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:32 am
Wow - thanks for the update - awesome
#77002 by rbleach
Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:49 pm
I am officially back up. Customer service call to Ooma went very smoothly. Took about 15 minutes (no wait to get to a person, just had to wait as he switched my account). Just called my home phone from my cell and, voila!, phone is ringing.

As annoying as having the first Telo die on me was, it's good to know that getting my credit card warranty honored and getting set up with a new Telo was about as painless as one could hope for.

Thanks to the folks on the board who helped me out. Hopefully, this thread can help someone else down the road.
#77009 by rbleach
Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:51 pm
thunderbird wrote:What did you do with the defective Ooma Telo?

Nothing yet. I have been thinking about opening it up (if I can figure out how it's sealed) and taking a look under the hood. Maybe even take a crack at fixing that network port. I'm no pro with a soldering iron, but I did fix my Tivo's power supply by replacing a capacitor once (required soldering). I have a feeling the contents of the Telo will be a bit too closely packed together for me to feel comfortable messing with it. I'll see if I have time this weekend.

Of course, I just got a new cell phone today (went from a dumb phone to an android) so I have to figure that out as well. May take me a little while to get inspired into doing a Telo breakdown.
#77012 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:08 pm
rbleach:
I've been very interested to see what's inside also. If you do open it up, be sure and let us know how it comes out. Maybe take some pictures and post if you have time.