Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76857 by rbleach
Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:43 pm
Had a brief power outage this morning which knocked out my telo. I tried power cycling it, but the Ooma logo light never lit up. It would start with the lines 1 + 2 lights being on, then cycle through bottom row of lights, ending up with top 3 lights flashing with 1 + 2 + trash + mail lights being solid blue. The Ooma logo light is off (not red, off) through whole boot up. After trying a bunch of things to fix it (which I'll list after this), I noticed the "to internet" port leds were not lighting up (home port works fine). At best, the green led will flash briefly and dimly during initial power and later on in the boot process I'll get a flash from the orange led. (The router's led for the port the telo is plugged into is also unlit).

Is this port completely dead? Is there anything that can be done to fix it? My setup has worked for over a year, and nothing else has changed.

My setup goes: cable modem > router w/port forwarding > telo.

Here's what I tried (and which didn't work -- same problem as above):

--replaced ethernet cable (and gently jiggled the cable).
--put telo's IP in the router's DMZ.
--hooked telo directly up to cable modem (no router).
--hooked laptop up to telo home port - I can access the telo setup page, and I tried every option under the sun to make this work - (Automatic, DHCP, Static IP, Built-in MAC, Auto MAC). When hooked up to home port, the laptop has no internet access - so telo has no net access.
--successfully hard reset telo (confirmed that settings in telo setup page were wiped out).
--left power off for over an hour and tried again.
--cleaned "to internet" port with alcohol & q-tip. Checked for bent pins -- there weren't any.

I'd really prefer not to have to drop another $199 on a new telo. This one's less than 3 months out of warranty. Did I miss anything?

--Bob
#76861 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:20 pm
It looks like you've done everything I could think of.

You might work at getting a replacement from a different angle.

If you bought your Ooma with a credit card, it might have a year extended warrenty (two years total).

I see that sometimes that Ooma for the fee of their extended warrenty, about 40 dollars, will replace your Ooma device, even if you've had it for a little more than a year. You have contact Ooma Sales for this.

I'll post some Ooma Forum threads that might help you.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10851&p=75757&hilit=Warranty#p75757

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=extended&start=10

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2629&p=73963&hilit=extended#p73963
#76862 by EA PA
Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:20 pm
I went through a similar issue - in fact - exactly the same symptoms and did the exact same stuff - (except alc swipe of connector - new). Then I remembered the OOMA trouble play book and thought - "No - it cant be". I powered everything off, powered up modem till done, then 1 at a time and Poof - OOMA came back to life. I would never have believed it was that and wasted an hour or 2 doing all the smart stuff...

just an idea - did not see this on your list.. good luck
#76864 by ntoy
Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:54 pm
rbleach wrote:Had a brief power outage this morning which knocked out my telo. I tried power cycling it, but the Ooma logo light never lit up. It would start with the lines 1 + 2 lights being on, then cycle through bottom row of lights, ending up with top 3 lights flashing with 1 + 2 + trash + mail lights being solid blue. The Ooma logo light is off (not red, off) through whole boot up. After trying a bunch of things to fix it (which I'll list after this), I noticed the "to internet" port leds were not lighting up (home port works fine). At best, the green led will flash briefly and dimly during initial power and later on in the boot process I'll get a flash from the orange led. (The router's led for the port the telo is plugged into is also unlit).

Is this port completely dead? Is there anything that can be done to fix it? My setup has worked for over a year, and nothing else has changed.

My setup goes: cable modem > router w/port forwarding > telo.

Here's what I tried (and which didn't work -- same problem as above):

--replaced ethernet cable (and gently jiggled the cable).
--put telo's IP in the router's DMZ.
--hooked telo directly up to cable modem (no router).
--hooked laptop up to telo home port - I can access the telo setup page, and I tried every option under the sun to make this work - (Automatic, DHCP, Static IP, Built-in MAC, Auto MAC). When hooked up to home port, the laptop has no internet access - so telo has no net access.
--successfully hard reset telo (confirmed that settings in telo setup page were wiped out).
--left power off for over an hour and tried again.
--cleaned "to internet" port with alcohol & q-tip. Checked for bent pins -- there weren't any.

I'd really prefer not to have to drop another $199 on a new telo. This one's less than 3 months out of warranty. Did I miss anything?

--Bob

Hello Bob,

Unfortunately with the led's out on the port - that's not a good sign. The last log I show is on 3/5. I assume you tried on a different lan port on your router just to rule out the router's port. Other than that, you may want to contact our sales line to inquire about refurb telos.
#76865 by rbleach
Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:08 pm
Thanks for the speedy responses, guys. Pretty much figured I was screwed. I'll have to double-check the credit card warranty thing -- good idea. And just for housekeeping purposes, yeah, I tried different router ports and I tried powering off everything (modem, router and ooma) and starting them in different orders.

Oh well, at least the "call forwarding to my cell if ooma is out" option is working for now.

--Bob
#76866 by EA PA
Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:17 pm
Bummer - I was watching the LEDs when my issue happened as well - in fact that is why the light went off in my head after reading your dilemma! The LED was pulsing at same frequency - slow

RIP - bummer -

I put in a 450 watt UPS for about 60 bucks to prevent this - power the modem / ooma / router / switch chain - highly recommend... went through about 4 or 5 power spikes the other night - no prob
#76895 by rbleach
Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:54 am
I filed an extended warranty claim with American Express, so hopefully that will get me a refund. I'd like to just go out to Best Buy and buy another telo to limit my downtime, but I'm not sure if I would be able to swap it out and keep my phone number. I'd really like to avoid another number porting charge. And after this telo failed, I'd rather not go the refurb route.

Further housekeeping -- the telo was plugged into a UPS -- surge only socket. My router was plugged into the UPS as well (on a battery protected socket). I noticed ntoy wrote "The last log I show is on 3/5." Does that mean it died before 3/9 and I just didn't notice (which is entirely possible, as I'm not a big phone user). I'm wondering if the power outage caused this at all, or if it just drew my attention to it.
#76896 by EA PA
Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:01 am
Hmm - yep I was wondering that as well. Please re-post results of AmEx claim. I am interested in the results. Seems like they really do pay off - up to 1 year after purchase is it ? or after warranty expires? Kind of looks like 1 year after it expires

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10950&p=76325&hilit=american+express#p76325
#76898 by EA PA
Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:11 am
Answered my own question

1. How does the Extended Warranty work?
When you charge the cost of a covered product with your American Express® Card, the Extended Warranty1 will extend the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty for a period of time equal to the duration of the original manufacturer's warranty, up to one additional year on warranties of five years or less that are eligible in the U.S.

https://www212.americanexpress.com/dsml ... ype=intfaq
#76899 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:17 am
rbleach wrote:I filed an extended warranty claim with American Express, so hopefully that will get me a refund. I'd like to just go out to Best Buy and buy another telo to limit my downtime, but I'm not sure if I would be able to swap it out and keep my phone number. I'd really like to avoid another number porting charge. And after this telo failed, I'd rather not go the refurb route.

Further housekeeping -- the telo was plugged into a UPS -- surge only socket. My router was plugged into the UPS as well (on a battery protected socket). I noticed ntoy wrote "The last log I show is on 3/5." Does that mean it died before 3/9 and I just didn't notice (which is entirely possible, as I'm not a big phone user). I'm wondering if the power outage caused this at all, or if it just drew my attention to it.

I would send Ooma Support an E-Mail explaining that your Ooma failed, and that you credit card company may pay for the replacement. Tell them "I'd like to just go out to Best Buy and buy another Telo to limit my downtime, but I'm not sure if I would be able to swap it out and keep my phone number. I'd really like to avoid another number porting charge. And after this Telo failed, I'd rather not go the refurbished route" and any other added expenses. See what Ooma Support says on their return E-mail.

That said, I think you would find that the refurbished Ooma Telo will probably be as good as or better than the brand new never used Ooma Telo. The reason is that the refurbished Ooma Telos have all of the latest updates included. While the Brand new Ooma Telos might have been setting on the self or in a warehouse for a year or two, and don't have the latest updates. I'm running a refurbished Ooma Telo right now, and it functions better than my original brand new never used Ooma Telo.