Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#5847 by lohertz
Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:27 pm
tommies wrote:[
this will give your ip address when your're at home. When you try to connect to your home network from the outside, this ip may still be remain the same or might change. This probably works if you put the whole gig on UPS. Any hiccup in power supply will cause the modem to reboot and has a new ip assigned.

That's what I mean, the ISP could reset as well. Most of the time the ISP has a the lease times set on IPs because the servers always rotate.
So if theres a change you wont see it until you get back home and look it up.
#5967 by lightnin033
Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:39 pm
my ip addresses NEVER change unless I lose service for a very long time. So once I note my ip address, I'm good for months. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that up front.
#9720 by neuf
Fri May 15, 2009 7:26 am
Just a suggestion for people looking for a way to get to their home server when they are remote, and to do so via a static text url address (rather than IP), even if their IP is dynamically assigned by their ISP, check out:

http://www.noip.com

This is a free service that I've been using for years to create a static way to access my home server. You download a small client to your Windows computer that simply refreshes noip's DNS with your latest IP address.
#9991 by birdiedave
Wed May 20, 2009 1:59 pm
Hi everyone,

This is all great posts. However, I'm trying to have my ooma hub set up based on ooma recommendation isp---ooma---linksys 54G router--computer, I couldn't get the ooma to work. The red light indicator on the ooma keeps flashing and red light on 1 and 2 button. I tried to have the ooma behind the linksys router (isp--kinksys--ooma), it still didn't work. My isp is comcast with download speed: 8.7Mb/s upload 670kb/s
Any insight would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-david
#9992 by WayneDsr
Wed May 20, 2009 2:02 pm
Either way you place it, you need to power cycle (turn off, then on) the modem, router and ooma. If you are using ooma WITH a landline you need to make sure the WALL connector on the ooma hub is connected to the wall jack.

Wayne
#10040 by birdiedave
Thu May 21, 2009 7:03 am
Hi Wayne,

I tried power cycle in sequence modem, router, ooma. The red lights are still on 1, 2, >, and >>I. Dou you know why?

Thx.
#10042 by WayneDsr
Thu May 21, 2009 7:08 am
Let's take this from the beginning. Has the ooma phone system ever worked for you?
Did you register your hub online?
If so, make sure you registered the right mac address. Sometimes the letters/numbers are hard to read. For instance, 8 for an E.

Wayne
#10044 by birdiedave
Thu May 21, 2009 7:15 am
I did register the mac address at the beginning and ooma did assign me a phone #. However, it never get through the initialize stage (boot up with green light). I don't have a land line.
#10046 by WayneDsr
Thu May 21, 2009 7:28 am
Make sure you registered the hub with the CORRECT mac address. If you make a mistake, and the address you entered is still a valid one, it will register, however if it is not the actual number or your hub, your ooma will not work. You may have to call customer service to make sure you entered the correct mac address.
OR
Take a good look at your mac address, use a magnifying glass if you need to and copy the numbers/letters down. Make sure it's 100% right and try to register again.
The worse that can happen is that ooma will tell you the hub is already registered.

Also, to connect to setup.ooma.com you need to connect to the HOME port of the ooma hub with a laptop or pc that has dhcp enabled.
Until ooma connects, you can't do anything in setup anyway.

Wayne