Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#5671 by orthokid
Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:34 am
Great thread! Had a question. I have a linksys WRT54G. I just hooked up ooma BEHIND the router and ooma works great and all the networked computers can access the net but my mapped hard drives and NAS unit get knocked off the network. Message says it can't connect to drive and that "The local device name is already in use". I think I have to configure my router mac addresses? HELP PLEASE
#5673 by lohertz
Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:39 pm
orthokid wrote:Great thread! Had a question. I have a linksys WRT54G. I just hooked up ooma BEHIND the router and ooma works great and all the networked computers can access the net but my mapped hard drives and NAS unit get knocked off the network. Message says it can't connect to drive and that "The local device name is already in use". I think I have to configure my router mac addresses? HELP PLEASE

Sounds like an IP conflict. Two devices have the same IP address.

I'm assuming that nothing is plugged into the ooma's home port. (if this is the case, move whatever is plugged in there to one of the router's available lan ports)
In the case of network drives, its always best to use static IPs assigned in the routers dhcp instead of "server" names. this speeds up the network as a whole.
Assign a static IP to devices and see if that clears it up (not all devices need be static, just ones that your mapping drives to.)
#5684 by vbvamsi
Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:42 pm
I have a wireless router (Level1 WBR-6001) which supports QoS but I cannot see any setting of inobound or outbound ports. Also it asks me for a Local IP and Remote IP. I am setting the local IP to the IP of my ooma hub and leaving the remote IP blank.

Are my settings right? could some one help me if I am doing anything wrong.

I attached a sceenshot of my settings. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
ooma.tif
Screenshot with current settings.
ooma.tif (111.27 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
#5691 by vbvamsi
Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:00 pm
Thanks Wayne for the response. Just wanted to be sure the QoS is right otherwise I might have problems when the load on my network is high.
#5787 by lightnin033
Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:38 am
I've read several threads around this topic and thought I'd post my experiences...

I started with ooma behind my router (WRT54GL), and was using QOS at the port level to give it priority. (I was concerned about putting ooma in front of the router because of all the additional port forwarding I'd have to do (use inbound ports 80 443 20-25 3389 4125). Plus I was concerned about ooma's use of 443, since I use that for secure http.) This worked OK but quality was sometimes a tiny bit rough.

Then I changed to MAC-based QOS, since that seemed to offer more granularity. Quality got better, but I still heard the occasional rough patch, and echo (outbound only, other party couldn't hear it).

Before making a final decision on how to configure ooma (and porting my wired number), I decided to try ooma in front of the router. I started on a Friday afternoon, thinking I'd have to dinker with it the whole weekend. Alas, I reconfigured the wires, logged into the ooma box, set up my router in the DMZ, and everything worked perfectly the first time. All my inbound ports (SSH, http, secure http, TS, etc.) all worked without any problem. Voice quality was still not perfect, but it's gotten better and better since I made the change. (Is it my imagination or does ooma self-adjust for best quality?) Last night I was on a one hour conference call with several parties, including asia-pacific, and the sound quality was terrific the whole time. This even though I had a vpn tunnel going with work and a RDC window into a work server going the while time.

(I noticed that when I moved the ooma box to between my 5MB cable modem and my router, I got an ip address from a completely different Charter subnet than I had been getting. Plus, as you have probably observed, the ip address subnet that ooma uses for the home network doesn't seem to be a standard private subnet like 192.168.*.*. At any case, you can log into the ooma box from anywhere in your home network by using the gateway address of your ooma box. E.g., if you're router gets a DHCP address from ooma of n1.n2.n3.37, you can connect to the ooma box with n1.n2.n3.1. This gives the same results as putting a PC behind the ooma box and typing setup.ooma.com as the url.)

I hope this helps someone thinking about using ooma. It's great and I am very glad I found out about it. My port request has been submitted...
#5790 by WayneDsr
Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:04 am
Glad that works for you! In the end, that's all that matters.

(Is it my imagination or does ooma self-adjust for best quality?)

I've always thought the same thing. Mine keeps on getting better over time!

Wayne
#5793 by lohertz
Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:14 am
:) Glad it works for you. :)

Do you have a static IP from your ISP?

If not, does one of your server boxes update your dynamic IP to your DNS?
OR
Does your router handle the Dynamic IP to the DNS?

If you answer the latter, then I would like to know more about how you get your front facing IP to your router to update the DNS.
#5795 by lightnin033
Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:26 am
I don't have a static ip address from my ISP. My ooma box uses DHCP so my router gets an address from the ooma box.

But, I connect via ip address from the outside. I don't try to maintain a DNS name.

Bill