Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#5397 by 3107938461
Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:22 pm
I have ooma at home and it is working out great. I want to get one for my office but the only way I can put ooma there is behind the firewall/router (regular linksys).

In other words I have

ISP -> Router -> ooma & computers

As opposed to the standard

ISP -> ooma -> Router -> computers

Is this possible. The documentation says it is and I hate to purcahse and return the unit if it does not work.
#5399 by thively
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:29 pm
It works just fine behind a router. I have mine behind my D-Link router for a similar reason. It's just not logistically ideal to have it the recommended way directly behind the modem.

They (apparently) recommend you put it directly on a the modem is:
1) So the Ooma core will use QoS to preserve enough bandwidth for itself, so it does not get starved by other applications hogging the bandwith (and making calls degrade.)
2) General router compatibility. Some routers don't necessarily play so nicely with Ooma out of the box. But I think those tend to be cheap or off brand routers (or the type that is included with DSL service.)

But a Linksys router should have no problem at all. You should have to do nothing to make it work. Not even port forward.

However, you may want to configure QoS settings in the Linksys router to prioritize traffic for Ooma. Set your QoS in Linksys to match that of your outbound (up) traffic and set Ooma to have #1 priority. I think Linksys can do this by MAC address (because not all Linksys routers can statically assign an IP address.) But whatever is necessary to identify Ooma as the #1 priority.
That way if you do a big upload, it won't steal bandwidth from Ooma.

If you don't have access to the Linksys settings, then don't worry you should be able to still use it anyway. You may experience degraded call quality once in a while if bandwidth gets congested from other people using it.

I have this issue at work with my Vocalocity VOIP phone (no Qos is set up.) We just finaly got a new IT guy so I have to get him to set up QoS for our phones so this doesn't happen.

What type of office? Small office? How many people share the connection/rotuer? Do you know what type of internet connection you have? DSL, T1, etc?
#5400 by lohertz
Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:41 am
I prefer (and suggest) the ooma behind the router. Although, I would not connect any computers to the ooma. Just connect the ooma to the router as if it was another computer.

You should have a look at your router settings as suggested by the previous poster.
#5423 by WayneDsr
Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:03 am
I 3rd that.
I use my ooma connected to my Linksys wireless 54g and it works great.
If you're into playing with os, find a Linksys 54g version 2 or 3 (not sure about v4) and add Tomato firmware in place of the Linksys firmware.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato/
for more information.

The QOS control is awesome.

Wayne
#5464 by chiefjim
Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:07 am
I'm using a WRT-54GL with the standard software, works fine. In the router setup, Applications and Gaming, QoS, use the Device Priority section. Add you MAC address, set to highest and that's it.

I let the upstream bandwidth remain on auto.
#5465 by funone46
Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:19 am
thively wrote:It works just fine behind a router. I have mine behind my D-Link router for a similar reason. It's just not logistically ideal to have it the recommended way directly behind the modem.

They (apparently) recommend you put it directly on a the modem is:
1) So the Ooma core will use QoS to preserve enough bandwidth for itself, so it does not get starved by other applications hogging the bandwith (and making calls degrade.)
2) General router compatibility. Some routers don't necessarily play so nicely with Ooma out of the box. But I think those tend to be cheap or off brand routers (or the type that is included with DSL service.)

But a Linksys router should have no problem at all. You should have to do nothing to make it work. Not even port forward.

However, you may want to configure QoS settings in the Linksys router to prioritize traffic for Ooma. Set your QoS in Linksys to match that of your outbound (up) traffic and set Ooma to have #1 priority. I think Linksys can do this by MAC address (because not all Linksys routers can statically assign an IP address.) But whatever is necessary to identify Ooma as the #1 priority.
That way if you do a big upload, it won't steal bandwidth from Ooma.

If you don't have access to the Linksys settings, then don't worry you should be able to still use it anyway. You may experience degraded call quality once in a while if bandwidth gets congested from other people using it.

I have this issue at work with my Vocalocity VOIP phone (no Qos is set up.) We just finaly got a new IT guy so I have to get him to set up QoS for our phones so this doesn't happen.

What type of office? Small office? How many people share the connection/rotuer? Do you know what type of internet connection you have? DSL, T1, etc?

Ok Im not a computer person. So what is the reason for not installing per the instructions.?
#5468 by lohertz
Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:02 am
funone46 wrote:Ok Im not a computer person. So what is the reason for not installing per the instructions.?

The main reason we don't follow the instructions is because the equipment and software we use in our network setup is superior to that of OOMA's.

Although a little technical knowledge helps to gain optimum performance on your network, a lot of software is designed to be as easy as possible to make it work and work well.

However, that's not always the case.

Additionally, the instructions don't account for every possible configuration.
#5528 by tommies
Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:06 pm
funone46 wrote:Ok Im not a computer person. So what is the reason for not installing per the instructions.?
Single point of failure: when rebooting ooma--or whenever ooma tab is not solid blue, your entire network will be severed from the internet.

Bottom line, ooma core is not designed as a full feature router, I prefer to put it behind a router.

I use a cheap one (Air link 101 ~$20) and it work out of the box: no port forwarding or triggering needed.

I assign ooma a static ip by it MAC address, and setup QoS for ooma's ip to high priority. Then disable QoS in ooma hup (change the setting to 0/zero). My DSL is 1.5M/256k, actually ~1.3M/212k, and I don't have any problem with downloading or streaming video. I wish to have at least 3M/386k but att said that all they have to offer.
#5535 by funone46
Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:44 am
I may just have to try and plug the hub into thte back of the router. And see what happens.I have a linksys wrt 54g router.
#5540 by lohertz
Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:41 am
tommies wrote:Bottom line, ooma core is not designed as a full feature router, I prefer to put it behind a router.

Exactly