Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76690 by kwiz168
Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:24 am
I need help getting my Ooma signal to my Scout so I can share my Ooma signal through the house.

I have AT&T UVerse DSL, with no AT&T home telephone service (number just ported to Ooma) with the setup below:

UVerse Gateway/Router --> (Modem port) Ooma Hub
Ooma Hub (Phone Port) --> Primary Ooma Phone : Ooma Hub has a blue tab, and primary phone receives Ooma service.
Ooma Hub (Wall Port) --> Wall Phone Jack #1
Wall Phone Jack #2 --> (Wall Port) Ooma Scout (Phone Port) --> Secondary Ooma Phone

The Hub and primary phone work fine, but the Scout does not. When I connect the Scout the Broadband light on the UVerse Gateway goes red briefly, and then turns back to green, the bottom row of lights on the scout are lit, and the Ooma tab is a solid red. I have found that by plugging the line from the wall jack into the Scout after the Scout has power will briefly turn the Ooma Tab blue while the Uverse Broadband connection is down. After Uverse reacquires the connection the only dfference is the Ooma tab blinks red on the scout and no other buttons are lit.

I have also tried using two phone line splitters (L1, L2, L1+L2 variety) at both wall outlets with no luck. Every configuration (L1-->L1, L2-->L2, L1+L2-->L1+L2) results in the broadband connection going down for 30-45 seconds and ending with no Ooma signal on the Scout.

Any help getting in getting the Ooma signal to the scout is greatly appreciated.

Thank,
Kwiz168
#76696 by murphy
Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:46 am
The incoming DSL line must go to the DSL modem and no place else. It must not exist on the rest of your wall jacks.
DSL and HPNA (the way the hub communicates with the scout) are incompatable.
#76707 by kwiz168
Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:49 am
A few weeks ago, I had traditional AT&T DSL combined with my home telephone account. I specifically switched to UVerse so I could de-couple the two before submitting the port request for the telephone number. AT&T said that by doing this, I would be able to port the phone number away from AT&T without disrupting the DSL Service, and that does appear to be true. As of today the telephone line is dead (calling it gives a line not in service message), and my DSL is operating. Ooma is still not showing the port as being complete, but I expected a brief period of downtime for the telephone number.

What confuses me is that before switching to UVerse, my Scout was working with the configuration I describe in my original post. The scout stopped working the day AT&T came out to switch me to UVerse. I assumed that was because after the UVerse conversion, the telephone line was taking up line #1, and the DSL was taking up line #2 (or visa/versa), but with the telphone line now inactive, I expected to have one of the lines available to use for the Scout.

I don't know why the scout would have worked before, but it does not now. Does anyone know of why this would happen?

Thanks,
kwiz168
#76709 by ntoy
Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:25 pm
kwiz168 wrote:A few weeks ago, I had traditional AT&T DSL combined with my home telephone account. I specifically switched to UVerse so I could de-couple the two before submitting the port request for the telephone number. AT&T said that by doing this, I would be able to port the phone number away from AT&T without disrupting the DSL Service, and that does appear to be true. As of today the telephone line is dead (calling it gives a line not in service message), and my DSL is operating. Ooma is still not showing the port as being complete, but I expected a brief period of downtime for the telephone number.

What confuses me is that before switching to UVerse, my Scout was working with the configuration I describe in my original post. The scout stopped working the day AT&T came out to switch me to UVerse. I assumed that was because after the UVerse conversion, the telephone line was taking up line #1, and the DSL was taking up line #2 (or visa/versa), but with the telphone line now inactive, I expected to have one of the lines available to use for the Scout.

I don't know why the scout would have worked before, but it does not now. Does anyone know of why this would happen?

Thanks,
kwiz168


Hello,

Your account is setup as nonlandline(temporary number). Try moving your scout & everything attached including power supply & connect a phone wire to (Hub's wall port) to (Scout's wall port), power up the scout & see if hte scout's tab goes blue. If so, the scout appears to be working. My guess is that the wiring on your physical jacks may have been disabled or routed on a different pair.
#76711 by tomcat
Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:26 pm
kwiz168 -

Even though you may not have a dial tone or receive incoming calls on your old service, the line may still have power on it and interfering with the Hub and Scout. You will want to disconnect the old line from the house out at the NIB. See if that helps.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests