Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76499 by carnagerules
Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:55 pm
If I wanted to have people call me using 1 phone number. And I have 2 Oomas using 4 lines.

So I would have the "main" number ring and if it was busy I could forward the call to another line (line 2) and if line 2 was busy it would forward to line 3 and if line 3 were busy it would forward to line 4. And in theory use this for as many lines as I wanted all based off the 1st line in the sequence.

I would also have 4 individual phones hooked up to each line.

Can I do this?
#76559 by DTMF
Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:15 am
Not out of the box. What you describe is called a "hunt group."

You would need to tie your Ooma hardware into a PBX. A freeware PBX like Asterisk would be the least expensive way to do this, from a hardware standpoint. (The software is free. Dedicating a PC and adding hardware to make it work could probably be done for less than $1,000.) But Asterisk is very complex to set up. You could get a local professional to set it up for you.
#76688 by carnagerules
Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:49 am
I actually plan on using a PBX called Talkswitch ( talkswitch.com) it talkes analog lines and distributes them to all phones. I have the TS480vs.

The trick is getting Ooma to do the "rolling over" with a single phone number.

So the way I discribed it above will give me the "roll over" feature that I am looking for? It makes since to me?
#76689 by southsound
Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:15 am
carnagerules wrote:I actually plan on using a PBX called Talkswitch ( talkswitch.com) it talkes analog lines and distributes them to all phones. I have the TS480vs.

The trick is getting Ooma to do the "rolling over" with a single phone number.

So the way I discribed it above will give me the "roll over" feature that I am looking for? It makes since to me?

Unfortunately, it cannot be done with the current ooma model. Some time ago I was searching for a similar ability for our church and discovered that I had to go to another VoIP provider to that capability. There are also some VoIP providers that will provide that service and tie your existing ooma numbers to a single hunt group - but it probably makes little sense to just use a front end when you could use a provider that goes directly to your Talkswitch box. However, my personal thoughts are that the Talkswitch boxes are grossly overpriced. JMHO.
#76769 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:24 am
carnagerules wrote:so can't I use call forwarding like this

line 1 forwards to
line 2 forwards to
line 3 forwards to
line 4

The "call forward all" feature is not a conditional forward but an absolute forward. Even with the absolute forward, it will only work for line 1 to line 2 (** given that line 1 and line 2 are not tied to the same main Ooma device) given the incoming call is not coming from another Ooma number. After that, whatever you setup for line 2 on won't work anymore because the line 1 to line 2 forward came from an ooma number.

viewtopic.php?t=10876#p76152

** Line 1 can't call line 2 if both lines are tied to the same main Ooma device. The call will go directly to voicemail.