Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76459 by Kurtois
Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:24 am
I currently have the following:

Modem > Ooma Telo

Yes, that is it. Here is what I would like to move to now:

Modem > Router > Ooma Telo

Details on Modem:
(1.0 Mbps down/128 kbps up) - as advertised by cable company.

Details on the Router:
DDWRT running on Linksys WRT54GL

That said...

I would like to do the following:

1. Set a static IP for the Telo outside the DHCP pool (or range) allotted by the router's DHCP server. I know how to do this.
2. Set QoS values for the Telo. What are the values (I know how to set the QoS values (I think) to be used on the router?

From my reading on this forum, I see QoS is a hot topic. I would love a "straight" answer on this. If you can't give exact values, then give me the logic in coming up with values so I can tailor the values to my setup.

Also, if there is additional configuration I should consider, please simply list that, as well. If you want to get into details on it, that is fine also.

Thank you in advance.
#76461 by murphy
Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:43 am
You want the Telo to have the highest possible priority and nothing else to have that priority.
Everything else can slow down or stop while you are on the phone.
Delayed or discarded voice packets mean your conversation will be distorted.
#76462 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:58 am
Kurtois wrote:I currently have the following:
Details on Modem:
(1.0 Mbps down/128 kbps up) - as advertised by cable company.

Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbs download and 265 kbs upload. So you probably will have QoS problems with such a low upload speed.

Run http://www.speedtest.net/ a few times at different times of the day to see what your actual Download/Upload speeds are. Report those speeds here.

After you do that, connect your Modem to the Router WAN port.
Connect a Router LAN port to Ooma device Internet port using a network cable.
Connect a Router LAN port to a Computer's wired LAN port using a network cable.
Reboot modem, than router, and than Ooma device and computer.
Note: Sometimes you have to reboot several times before everything comes up.
To make sure your router is working, enter http://www.google.com in your computer's browser to access the Internet.

Reserve a static IP address in your router for your Ooma device in your router. Place the Ooma device's static IP address in your router's DMZ.

Temporarily access Ooma Setup by connecting a computer from the computer’s wired LAN port to the Ooma device's "Home" port. Type in http://172.27.35.1 and enter. Ooma Setup window opens. Click on "Network" in the left hand side of the page. Go down to MODEM Port MAC Address and select "Use Built-In'. Go to bottom of page and click on "Update".

An Added Aid:
Go back to left hand side of window and select "Advanced". Go down to "Port Forwarding" and select "Add New Rule". At "Start Port" type in 80. At "type" select "TCP". At "Forward to IP address" type in 172.27.35.1. Click on "Add Rule".
Now disconnect computer from Ooma "Home" port. With a computer connected to one of the router's LAN ports, (after a reboot, if same computer), type in the IP address that you assigned to the Ooma device http://x.x.x.x in your router. The Ooma Setup window will open without accessing the Ooma device's "Home" port.

When you get everything working, than the QoS may have to be reset in the Router, as Murphy directed above.
#76771 by Kurtois
Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 am
murphy/thunderbird - thank you both for assisting.

thunderbird - Re: the down/up speed of my connection. I have been running with Ooma traffic alone and the call quality has been just fine, according to the caller on the other end.

I realize my connection is paltry, however, I assume QoS will "hog" the bandwidth when necessary.

I will record values throughout the day as you suggest and report back.
#76889 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:36 am
Kurtois:
Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbs download and 265 kbs upload.

It's good that your measured download, 1080 kbps and upload speed is 130 kbps, is a little better than advertised by cable company. But you still could have quality of service problems because of the low 130 kbs upload.

But you could just continue to use Ooma and see what happens. If you do have problems, you may have to have your Internet provider increase your bandwidth.
#77281 by Lilly's_Closet
Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:57 pm
Fist if all your computers will be connecting wirelessly (rather than being hard wired to the router) you should not have to mess with the QOS settings on your DD-WRT router. The hard-wired clients will always take priority, out of the box.

I would not set QOS until you tested your service without setting it up, chances are you won’t need to set it up unless, you’re a heavy network user with DD-WRT

Not related to Oooma, you Defiantly Do want experiment with turning on after burner and Frame Burst (dd wrt wireless settings) to dramatically improve your wireless connection. Turn one on test the speed of your wireless clients, now turn it off and turn on the other, test, turn on both test. Also only use wireless channels that don’t overlap (1, 6 and 11) use the least popular one of those channels in your neighborhood. Also if you only have G clients change the broadcast to only G, it mixed mode there is alot of overhead.

Finally DD-WRT can be overwhelming until you get use to it and Google what all the different features do. If your router supports it, you may want to check out these projects as well

http://tomatousb.org/ (better GUI, built in Print Server for routers with USB ports, less granular in terms of what you can configure)

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato (better GUI No built in Print Server) less
#77338 by tomcat
Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:42 am
thunderbird wrote:Reserve a static IP address in your router for your Ooma device in your router. Place the Ooma device's static IP address in your router's DMZ.

Temporarily access Ooma Setup by connecting a computer from the computer’s wired LAN port to the Ooma device's "Home" port. Type in http://172.27.35.1 and enter. Ooma Setup window opens. Click on "Network" in the left hand side of the page. Go down to MODEM Port MAC Address and select "Use Built-In'. Go to bottom of page and click on "Update".

An Added Aid:
Go back to left hand side of window and select "Advanced". Go down to "Port Forwarding" and select "Add New Rule". At "Start Port" type in 80. At "type" select "TCP". At "Forward to IP address" type in 172.27.35.1. Click on "Add Rule".
Now disconnect computer from Ooma "Home" port. With a computer connected to one of the router's LAN ports, (after a reboot, if same computer), type in the IP address that you assigned to the Ooma device http://x.x.x.x in your router. The Ooma Setup window will open without accessing the Ooma device's "Home" port.

thunderbird -
If you create a rule to forward port 80 on omma's internet port to ooma's internal IP address so that setup can be accessed from the LAN, then add the ooma to the router's DMZ, aren't you exposing ooma's setup page to the Internet as well?
#77339 by thunderbird
Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:58 am
tomcat:
Since Ooma uses a VPN tunnel, a hacker would have to hack Ooma's security, before they could reach your router's LAN, and than to Ooma Setup. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but very unlikely.

That's the same reason they say that if you put a computer in your router's DMZ, you should have security software on your computer for it's own protections. Ooma uses VPN for it's protections.

To make this work, you must always reserve a static IP address, in your router, for your Ooma device. That way the IP address that is in your router's DMZ, will not be assigned to any other device on your LAN. Because if another device on your LAN doesn't have security protections, connected to the IP address in the DMZ, it could provide an entrance to your LAN through the DMZ.