Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76455 by ElDucko
Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:20 am
Sorry for the title, but you can't search for just "X-10" (too short).

I am using an X-10 model PS561 "Voice Dialer Security Console" and am porting to Ooma from an AT&T land line. It dials out okay on the land line, but can't dial out via Ooma. The little red light on an extension phone comes on, indicating that the line goes off-hook okay, but the call won't go through. While I still have both lines available, I've tried dialing out over AT&T to the Ooma (it worked) and dialing out over Ooma to the AT&T line and to my cell phone (neither worked).

Unfortunately, the X-10 does not have "*" or "#" keys on it, and of course the comma (pause) isn't there. Note that the X-10 probably "looks just like a phone" in that it uses DTMF (I assume) and sends out recorded voice messages, not a data stream. Many of the alarm system problems shouldn't be there. (...heard that one before, huh?)

I would appreciate your advice.
#76456 by murphy
Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:38 am
Don't assume it uses DTMF, test it.
If it uses pulse dialing it won't work with Ooma.
#76470 by ElDucko
Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:21 am
murphy wrote:Don't assume it uses DTMF, test it.
If it uses pulse dialing it won't work with Ooma.

Yup- - I armed it, tripped it, and grabbed the phone. It tone-dialed, then began the recorded announcement.

I then hung up, disarmed, re-armed, and waited a bit longer before picking up. At this point, the recording was playing, and there was normal line noise, followed ten or fifteen seconds later by a busy signal (as if, no normal input detected by the phone system, after a few seconds it sounds this busy signal.)

...sounds to me like Ooma is not recognizing the tones, or else isn't grabbing it soon enough to get the full ten-digit sequence. Your thoughts?
#76514 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:55 pm
How are you feeding the panel your Ooma dialtone?

Even if you got it working, if you have a Hub, your panel won't recognize what you press from the remote phone so you can't go through the proper command selection process. You can only get a call and know that the alarm is triggered. With Telo, the incoming DTMF detection is supposed to work so you can do your command choices.
#76533 by ElDucko
Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:53 pm
lbmofo wrote:How are you feeding the panel your Ooma dialtone?

Even if you got it working, if you have a Hub, your panel won't recognize what you press from the remote phone so you can't go through the proper command selection process. You can only get a call and know that the alarm is triggered. With Telo, the incoming DTMF detection is supposed to work so you can do your command choices.

...think I follow you. I have a Telo, so I'll disregard the Hub business. With Telo, if my alarm's dialer starts right away (doesn't wait to detect a dial tone), there's a problem, right?
Unfortunately, the alarm dialer has only digits 0 thru 9, no "*" or "#" or "pause." It dials four different numbers, but it sounds like it doesn't wait long (if any) between disconnecting and starting to dial the next number.
Is there a way to configure Telo by going to its IP address and setting something to detect the DTMF earlier? Surely we can get it to do something clever and get around this.
Thanks for your help. It's encouraging.
#76534 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:07 pm
Are you feeding a long telephone line to the panel? Or are you feeding ooma dialtone into your house phone wires (by disconecting your landline at the NIB first)?