Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76454 by simpso57
Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:19 am
My setup WAS as follows and everything worked fine:

Modem - Ooma - Router - Switch - Clients.

However, i was limited in my network capabilities because ooma was messing with the WAN IP, so I need it behind the router. I put it behind the router but i can't get the phone to work. I have the ooma plugged into the switch at the moment, so it looks like this:

modem - router - switch - ooma and other clients.

Let me know what I need to do. Thanks.
#76457 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:16 am
Try connecting the Ooma device directly to one of the router's LAN ports, and the other end of the network cable to the Ooma devices Home port, and see what happens.

If that works:

Try reserving a static IP address for the Ooma device, in your router. Than put the Ooma devices static IP address in the router's DMZ.

Than connect the Ooma device's Internet port to the switch again.

For this configuration most peopel don't connect anything to the Ooma device's home port.
#76460 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:41 am
simpso57 wrote:I tried hooking it up directly to the router without making any changes and it still didn't work. What is the next step?

Can you access the Internet, like http://www.google.com, with a computer's network port connected with a network cable to one of the router's LAN ports?

Try to access "Ooma Setup" by temporaily connecting a network cable from your Ooma device's "Home" port to the Network port on your computer.
Than type in http://172.27.35.1 the Ooma Setup window opens.
Click on "Network" on the left hand side. At "Network Connetion" click on the down arrow, and select "Automatic".
At the bottom of the page click on "Update".
Reboot the modem, than the router, when the router is done rebooting, reboot the Ooma device.

If everything works, connect the Ooma device to the switch. Reboot everything again.
Note: Normally most people don't connect anything to the Ooma device's "Home" port, when the Ooma device is connected behind the router.
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
#76471 by Lilly's_Closet
Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:26 am
Just as a basic question have you rebooted the Ooma box with the new configuration? The reason I ask is because Ooma would be on a different IP address scheme when it was plugged directly into your router. Rebooting it and your router in the new configuration will force the DCHP requests for both the router as well as the Ooma box.
#76472 by simpso57
Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:28 am
Lilly's_Closet wrote:Just as a basic question have you rebooted the Ooma box with the new configuration? The reason I ask is because Ooma would be on a different IP address scheme when it was plugged directly into your router. Rebooting it and your router in the new configuration will force the DCHP requests for both the router as well as the Ooma box.

If by reboot you mean unplug it and plug the power back in, yes.

I am at work at the moment, but when I get the chance tonight I will try the steps above and see if that solves the problem. Thanks.
#76494 by ElDucko
Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:42 pm
One more thought- - As I recall, the difference between a router and a switch is that a switch doesn't check for "collisions," whereas as router does. If you try it without the switch, maybe you'll stand a better chance. If you're really loaded with clients and need a switch, get a router with more ports or "daisy chain" a wired router to your existing router. I run the same modem-router--Ooma setup as described. I did not have to assign a fixed ip address. Good luck.
#76525 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:33 pm
ElDucko wrote:One more thought- - As I recall, the difference between a router and a switch is that a switch doesn't check for "collisions," whereas as router does. If you try it without the switch, maybe you'll stand a better chance. If you're really loaded with clients and need a switch, get a router with more ports or "daisy chain" a wired router to your existing router. I run the same modem-router--Ooma setup as described. I did not have to assign a fixed ip address. Good luck.

A switch is a port multiplier. You can use many switches in a LAN with one router, without any problems at all. If you have a good switch that isn't defective, there will be no "collisions".