Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76352 by JTF
Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:59 am
Hello. I would like to put my modem and router in a closet to keep my desk area less clutered. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to hooking up: Modem-->Router-->Ooma-->Computer, verses having Ooma between the Modem and Router?
#76356 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:30 am
JTF wrote:Hello. I would like to put my modem and router in a closet to keep my desk area less clutered. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to hooking up: Modem-->Router-->Ooma-->Computer, verses having Ooma between the Modem and Router?

It's fine to connect your Ooma device after your router. Most people don't connect anything to the Ooma device's "Home" port" if connected this way. Reason: If you have more than one computer, you would not be able to print share, file share, etc.

Most people don't have any probems connecting their Ooma device behind their router, but a few do. It you should have problems, just post them in this Forum and someone wil help.
#76359 by Lilly's_Closet
Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 am
Unless you are you are having QOS issues that cannot be resolved with router adjustments, I would recommend always Modem (if you have one)---> Router-->Ooma-->additional clients, being connected directly into the router Not through ooma.

By plugging in the omma Device first (Ooma-->Router), you are essentially having Ooma be your Router or Traffic Cop. When configured this way it works okay but really the only thing this buys you is their built in Quality of Service Rules that reserves a portion of your network for ooma.

To me having ooma as a client of the router (Router-->Ooma) offers much more flexibility, and less headaches without having to redirect ports for VPN, my Smart appliances my Video Monitor system and it doesn’t impact myDNS.

However, your mileage may vary based on your equipment and other environmental variables. I would recommend that you test it. In short what you’re testing for is, can I maintain a conversation on ooma without deteriorating the voice quality while surfing the internet and doing my normal network activities (BitTorrents, streaming video, large downloads) with ooma as a client of the router (Router-->Ooma-->).

If the answer is yes then you are good to go, if the answer is no, then you may want to check your router to see if it has Quality of Service Settings (Google QOS and your router model number). If you can set the QOS set Ooma to have propriety over the other clients.

If your router can’t do QOS check the websites below to see if you can upgrade the router’s firmware to one of the custom packages available from the open source projects. I run all three firmware’s in my network and I tell you its like night and day in terms of performance

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index (Turns your router into a Rock Star, Website harder to navigate, GUI is okay )

http://tomatousb.org/ (better GUI, built in Print Server for routers with USB ports, less granular in terms of what you can configure)

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato (better GUI No built in Print Serverless granular in terms of what you can configure)

The power of UNIX and open source
Attachments
penguin.png
penguin.png (6.84 KiB) Viewed 8338 times
Last edited by Lilly's_Closet on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:43 am, edited 9 times in total.
#76372 by JTF
Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:00 am
Thank you Lilly's_Closet. I will check and see how it functions. My Linksys WRT54G does have QOS. Even if I don't have problems putting Ooma behind the router, should I change some settings on my Linksys Router to prioritize Ooma?
#76384 by Lilly's_Closet
Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:13 am
I had a few questions about my post so I cleaned up the wording to make it more understandable. You may want to read it again to make sure that you understand it.

Concerning your question, to compare the different configurations initially you should not do anything different with regards to settings so you can compare with all things being equal.

After you have some baseline performance to compare against your previous configuration, then yes I would pay around with your QOS settings. Changing then marginally and testing for a few days to see if it improves, stays the same, or decreases call quality.

It has been my experience that if you are not using Ooma’s to handle your QOS and you have a very robust network (large downloads, streaming, online multiplayer games torents…ect,) Omma voice quality will be impacted.
Now, if all you are doing is checking email and online shopping on your network then you probably will not see a difference in voice quality no matter how you setup ooma.

Also as a heads up with the router connected first then you will only be able to access the Ooma setup page by using the IP Address your router assigned to ooma. (I recommend giving Omma a static IP address but that is optional). In addition, I would recommend logging onto the ooma setup page and changing these settings if you are going to have your router connected first.

Use Built in Mac Address
Disable the Quality of Service Settings on the Ooma Box
#77275 by Hank
Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:54 am
Hi....I totally agree with Lilly's _Closet on this. I have an integrated modem and router (Motorola SB900). I am running Comcast cable. I have my modem/router connected to Ooma Telo....then to my computer and phone system. I find no issues with Qos and my phone connection is crystal clear...even when downloading a large file. I was all confused about this but L_C's post was a big help. Thanks