Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#5323 by dennisSYNd
Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:38 pm
Does anybody know if this is possible? Currently, my cable modem and router are located in my bedroom and my fax machine is outside which is where the ooma hub will go, in the living room. I do not want to run 50ft x 2 of ethernet cable from the hub to the modem and router in my bedroom, so I was thinking about putting a wifi bridge in the living room (specifically, dlink dap-1522) which I could also use for other entertainment network devices.

Will this work? If so, which port would I connect the dlink wifi bridge to the ooma hub? Modem or home?
#5326 by lohertz
Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:03 pm
It is possible to connect a bridge to an OOMA. I dont know how well it would work.

What I don't understand is what your exactly trying to do. You fax is outside? and you want the bridge in the living room?

Modem> wireless router> Bridge>OOMA Modem port

Depending on how well your wireless connection is will affect the ability for the ooma to perform. Just treat the OOMA as any other lan device when setting up the bridge. Dont connect anything to the ooma home port

Give it a go and let us know how it goes. IF you can get it to work (and it probably should) you can tweak it from there

GL
#5329 by dennisSYNd
Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:41 pm
Ah. Thanks lohertz. I got the blue light! Fax seems to work too!

Yeah my fax is outside in the living room near the entertainment goodies along with the wifi bridge. Since I have to use the ooma hub for the fax machine, I thought it be easier to connect the ooma hub to the bridge instead to the actual modem/router, which is in a different room. It seems to be working fine w/ wireless-n.

Now I ran into another dilemma. How can I access the ooma setup site if there is nothing plugged into the Home port? Do I have to bring my laptop over to the hub and connect it every time? I saw somewhere on the forum where you have to plug it in once and then change the ip numbers, but I don't know what numbers to input.
#5330 by WayneDsr
Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:51 pm
The answer is yes. Connect the laptop to home. However if you are working fine then you need not do anything to the hub. Sounds like a very interesting setup.

Wayne
#5331 by lohertz
Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:06 am
dennisSYNd wrote:How can I access the ooma setup site if there is nothing plugged into the Home port? Do I have to bring my laptop over to the hub and connect it every time?

Yes.
dennisSYNd wrote:I saw somewhere on the forum where you have to plug it in once and then change the ip numbers, but I don't know what numbers to input.

You don't need to do anything with the IP numbers because your router does all the work.

You shouldn't need to do anything in the setup menu. Once its set, leave it alone. :)