Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#75730 by jg64
Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:55 am
This may be a dumb question, but how do I know if my landline phone has been turned off? I want to distribute my ooma dial tone to all jacks in the house but read I am not to do this until the landline is shut off.

I currently have Comcast for internet, phone, and tv. My number has been ported to Ooma, and have been using it for a few weeks. (As a side note, I do have the tone issue I have read about. MOre that other people hear it, any way to fix that?0 Just today I have switched to ATT DSL. I was told he put it on L2.

I have read many posts about having to go to NIB (not even sure what this is) and change some wires.

I am having Directv installed on Friday and would like the dial tones at the jacks by then so there is no problems with installation.

I do not want to cancel all of Comcast services until the other services are all installed. Make sense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
#75735 by murphy
Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:04 am
Disconnect the phone line from the Comcast MTA and connect it to the Phone port of the Ooma box.
If Comcast was able to feed your wall jacks then Ooma should be able to also.
#75744 by murphy
Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 am
jg64 wrote:I'm sorry, what is a MTA?

Sorry, typo, eMTA. It's the Comcast box that provides your Comcast phone service. It's probably also your cable modem.
#75745 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:15 am
It is still a good idea to go out to your NIB (Network Interface Box) to see if your house phone wiring is disconnected from the landline phone company's network.

Just unplug the modular plug if your NIB looks like this: