Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76296 by atlcoug
Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:50 am
When plugging in a phone in L1 port of the splitter, you should get dialtone (given your phone service is still alive) and your DSL modem should work plugged into the L2 port of the splitter.

Once the above works, if you disconnect the line 1 modular plug at the NIB, your phone should go dead. This means your line 1 is now isolated from the telephone company so you can freely distribute Ooma dialtone. Once confirmed your landline dialtone is dead when you plug a phone into L1 port of the splitter, feed Ooma's "phone" port into the L1 port of the splitter and you should get Ooma dialtone in every wall jack in your home.

Thanks for your help.
There is no dial tone on line 1 anymore, so I assume that the port is in process.
If I unplug the line 1 modular jack and leave the line 2 modular jack plugged in at the NIB, the Ooma Telo still works, but my internet does not.
If I keep the line 1 modular jack plugged in and leave the line 2 modular jack plugged in at the NIB, the Ooma Telo still works, but my internet does not.
If I unplug the line 2 modular jack and plug the line 1 modular jack in the line 2 receptacle at the NIB, both the internet and the Ooma Telo work.
For right now, I don't need a splitter because I don't care if the Ooma dialtone is distributed throughout the house (I have a base unit and several cordless handsets).
#76300 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:41 am
atlcoug wrote:Thanks for your help.
There is no dial tone on line 1 anymore, so I assume that the port is in process.

Sure way to see if indeed there is no dialtone is go out to the NIB and plug into Line 1 test jack a corded phone. If no dialtone there at the NIB, then your landline is indeed dead.

If I unplug the line 1 modular jack and leave the line 2 modular jack plugged in at the NIB, the Ooma Telo still works, but my internet does not.

If your DSL is not working, your Ooma shouldn't work either right?

If I keep the line 1 modular jack plugged in and leave the line 2 modular jack plugged in at the NIB, the Ooma Telo still works, but my internet does not.

I am thinking your DSL doesn't work and your Ooma doesn't work either because no internet. This is because your DSL modem is plugged into the wall plate trying to access line 1 for DSL signal.

If I unplug the line 2 modular jack and plug the line 1 modular jack in the line 2 receptacle at the NIB, both the internet and the Ooma Telo work.

This is because you connected your house wire's Line 1 (blue pair) to the DSL signal (now coming in via the Line 2 from your telephone company). If you don't need to distribute your Ooma dialtone, I suggest that you leave your NIB this way, have your DSL modem work plugged into your wallplate without any splitter or modifying the wall plate. This will meet your needs.

For right now, I don't need a splitter because I don't care if the Ooma dialtone is distributed throughout the house (I have a base unit and several cordless handsets).
#76357 by atlcoug
Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:30 am
ntoy wrote:Hello atlcoug,

I show your number ported today (3/2/2011).

Congrats & welcome aboard!

Thank you. Everything worked out (with only a few hours of downtime from AT&T).
#76360 by atlcoug
Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:49 am
Kudos to all those who provide such quick answers on the forum.
Even though my AT&T landline number ported in the morning, I had internet and the Telo still working because my old DSL account with AT&T was not canceled until the evening.
When I tried to register/activate the new dry loop DSL installed on line 2, AT&T advised me that I could not use my old account email addresses on the new account until the old account was cancelled. I was without internet access and Ooma phone (no internet - no Telo) for about 5 hours. Fortunately, I had forwarded the old landline number to my cellphone and I also had internet access through my cell phone.
In hindsight, I should have used the old DSL line until it was officially cancelled, thereby giving me internet and Ooma phone service until I activated/registered the new line. But still worked out OK with no too much disruption.