Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#75048 by TR4321
Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:17 pm
Background: My landline is AT&T POTS. My broadband internet is AT&T U-Verse using a 2Wire gateway (combo modem and router). I do not have either TV or phone service provided though AT&T U-Verse, just broadband internet. I have connected my Telo base unit located on my first floor to the 2Wire gateway located in my basement using CAT 6 ethernet cable, a patch panel and NetGear GS105 gigabit switches. No router is between the Telo and the 2Wire gateway, just a patch panel and the switches. There are many other devices (computers, Sonos, TIVO, etc.) connected to my AT&T U-Verse broadband internet service, but none of those devices are between the Telo and the 2Wire gateway. (The 2Wire garetway has several outgoing ports for ethernet connections.

My Ooma Telo is using my old landline number while waiting for the number to port over to Ooma. To do this, I followed the instructions that said to plug my Telo into my landline by connecting a landline wall jack to the port labeled WALL on the back of my Ooma Telo.

I do not use any Telo handsets, instead I am using one standard phone plugged into a landline wall jack and several V-Tech 5.8 ghz wireless handsets (model LS5105) using the Ooma Telo by connecting the V-Tech base unit (model LS5145)to the port labeled PHONE on the back of my Ooma Telo. I have an Ooma dialtone on the standard phone and on all V-Tech handsets. I can make and receive calls on the standard phone and all V-Tech handsets.

Speed tests for my AT&T U-Verse broadband internet at the point where the Telo connects to the Netgear GS 105 gigabit switch is 11147 Kb/s download and 1431 Kb/s upload, with 33ms latency.

I have a few basic questions about the above equipment and equipment connections and a few questions about QoS problems that appeared after I activated the Ooma Telo.

1) Are all incoming calls and all local outgoing calls going through the Telo still using my AT&T POTS landline service?
2) Will all incoming calls and all outgoing calls going through the Telo use the Ooma VoIP service once the old landline number ports to Ooma?
3) Until the old landline number ports to Ooma, where are missed calls supposed go to for voicemail....my AT&T POTS "Call Notes", my Ooma Telo or my V-Tech base unit built-in answering machine? Missed calls seem to be going to one of those three in a random manner. How can I control this?
4) Once the old landline number ports to Ooma, where do missed calls go to voicemail....my Ooma Telo or my V-Tech base unit built-in answering machine? How can I control this?
5) If I do not want to continue using my one standard phone (now plugged into the landline wall jack) after the old landline number ports to Ooma, is it best to unplug the Telo from the landline wall jack? (to obtain optimal QoS for the Telo and the V-Tech handsets connected through the Telo)
6) If I do want to continue using my one standard phone (now plugged into the landline wall jack) after the old landline number ports to Ooma, what else do I need to do other than leaving the standard phone and the Telo both connected to the old landline wall jacks? (to obtain optimal QoS not only for the standard phone but also for the for the Telo and the V-tech handsets connected through the Telo)
7) Sound volume on my end (V-Tech handsets using Telo) is exremely low and nearly unhearable for both incalls and outcalls. Sound volume on the other end (caller/listener outside of my home) is OK. Any ideas why or solutions to fix low volume on my Telo end? Will sound volume on my Telo end improve once my old number ports to Ooma and calls no longer travel through AT&T landline POTS service?
8) Correct Caller ID information is intermittently showing up (but more frequently not showing up) on my V-Tech handsets since I activated my Ooma Telo. I am getting a lot of UNKNOWN CALLER showings for callers that have always in the past shown up on the V-Tech handsets with their correct names under Caller ID. Any ideas why or solutions to fix?
9) Sometimes a call will not be be placed after I hear a dialtone and enter the phone number I want to call...just silence. Any ideas why or solutions to fix?
10) Sometimes I answer an incoming call and I do not hear the caller but rather I just hear an echo of my own voice on the V-Tech handset. Any ideas why or solutions to fix?

#75209 by Kurt
Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:43 am
I'm no expert, but have a similar setup and looked at many of the same issues: Here's my take

1) Are all incoming calls and all local outgoing calls going through the Telo still using my AT&T POTS landline service?
NO. Incoming call via AT&T POTS, outging via OOM Telo.

2) Will all incoming calls and all outgoing calls going through the Telo use the Ooma VoIP service once the old landline number ports to Ooma?
YES. Upon porting your landline will be cancelled.

3) Until the old landline number ports to Ooma, where are missed calls supposed go to for voicemail....my AT&T POTS "Call Notes", my Ooma Telo or my V-Tech base unit built-in answering machine? Missed calls seem to be going to one of those three in a random manner. How can I control this?
You should be able to manage where your voicemail goes by changing the number of rings (time) OOMA allows before it answers the phone. Look in OOMA options online.

4) Once the old landline number ports to Ooma, where do missed calls go to voicemail....my Ooma Telo or my V-Tech base unit built-in answering machine? How can I control this?
See answer above.

5) If I do not want to continue using my one standard phone (now plugged into the landline wall jack) after the old landline number ports to Ooma, is it best to unplug the Telo from the landline wall jack? (to obtain optimal QoS for the Telo and the V-Tech handsets connected through the Telo)
Since your landline AT&T service will end upon porting there will be no signal coming into the OOMA from the landline.

6) If I do want to continue using my one standard phone (now plugged into the landline wall jack) after the old landline number ports to Ooma, what else do I need to do other than leaving the standard phone and the Telo both connected to the old landline wall jacks? (to obtain optimal QoS not only for the standard phone but also for the for the Telo and the V-tech handsets connected through the Telo)
What you have to do is isolate your internal house telephone wiring from the street service. You would do this downstream of your U-verse modem so that it would continue to receive a signal. Plug the OOMA telo output into a (now isolated) home wall jack. This makes all the rest of your home wall jacks hot with a OOMA signal so you can then plug all the rest of your phones into any remaining home wall jack.

7) Sound volume on my end (V-Tech handsets using Telo) is exremely low and nearly unhearable for both incalls and outcalls. Sound volume on the other end (caller/listener outside of my home) is OK. Any ideas why or solutions to fix low volume on my Telo end? Will sound volume on my Telo end improve once my old number ports to Ooma and calls no longer travel through AT&T landline POTS service?
I have the same problem with incoming calls from the AT&T line. Outgoing calls, over the OOMA system seem fine. I'm also porting my number to OOMA and hope this problem goes away. Incoming voice mail messages are almost inaudible. Many others on this forum share this same problem. So far no exact solution.

8) Correct Caller ID information is intermittently showing up (but more frequently not showing up) on my V-Tech handsets since I activated my Ooma Telo. I am getting a lot of UNKNOWN CALLER showings for callers that have always in the past shown up on the V-Tech handsets with their correct names under Caller ID. Any ideas why or solutions to fix?
I share the same problem. I think it is because your incoming calls are coming over the AT&T system directly into the Telo, and not through OOMA services, thus OOMA cannot tell what the number is. I think this will be solved when your port goes through. Why some calls are known may be due to information you've manually entered into your VTEC telephones.

9) Sometimes a call will not be be placed after I hear a dialtone and enter the phone number I want to call...just silence. Any ideas why or solutions to fix?
Did you press the green (sometimes blue) button to send? On my phone I have to press the green button on the phone to get a dial tone. Press it first, the phone works just like a traditional phone. You can also dial the number first then press the button to send, more like a cell phone. Just a thought.

10) Sometimes I answer an incoming call and I do not hear the caller but rather I just hear an echo of my own voice on the V-Tech handset. Any ideas why or solutions to fix?
Sounds like a QOS question. Suggest browsing the forums for suggestions.
#75246 by thunderbird
Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:13 pm
After porting has been accomplished, many of your problems will probably go away. But there probably will be some new problems. After porting has been accomplished, if your have problems, post them here and someone will help.
TR4321 wrote:

Just as a temporary test, disconnect the homes phone cord from the Ooma “Wall” port. Than connect only your one corded phone into the the Ooma “Phone” port and make calls to test for phone volume. Next connect only your cordless phone base into the Ooma phone port and test cordless phone volume again.

Use “Built-In” MAC address in your Ooma device.
Put your Ooma device’s IP in you two wire router’s DMZ.

Also look at this and see if it would work for you.
thunderbird wrote:Quote, but revised for Ooma connection:
Here is how to setup your (Ooma device) in DMZ-Plus mode (with Ooma device connected behind two-wire):
1. Unplug all devices from the 2Wire router except for your (Ooma device) you want to be in DMZ. Also, unplug any TV boxes as they might through the 2Wire router.
2. Reset your 2Wire router by unplugging, waiting 10 seconds and then plugging it back in.
3. Login to the 2Wire and go to the Firewall settings. Then select Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ
4. There should only be 1 device listed under "Select a Computer". Make sure it is selected and then Choose the radio button: Allow all applications (DMZplus mode).
5. Hit Save. Now login to your (Ooma device through “Home” port) that is now under DMZ.
6. Under (Network, than Network connection, setup, make sure the router is set to (Automatic).
7. Reboot your Ooma device.
8. The IP address listed (In you Ooma device “Status” page under modem) should change from 192.168.x.x to your DSL/Cable IP Address. If it stayed at 192.168.x.x, go back to step 3. It might take a few times for your (Ooma device) to pickup the correct IP.
9. Once your Ooma device) has the external IP, everything is configured correctly.
Even if your (Ooma device) has the 192.168.x.x the router still appears to be in DMZ however, most obscure-protocols (GRE,IPv6) still will not work. The (Ooma device) must have the external IP as its IP address for everything to work correctly.

Thanks,
James Hartig