Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#74739 by mitchel
Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:02 am
Hi:

My number has been ported and if I connect the phone directly to the PHONE jack on the Telo it works fine.

I went outside to the Qwest box and disconnected the two modular plugs as show in the attached photo then disconnected the phone that was connected to the PHONE jack on the Telo and ran the cord directly to the wall jack. When I pickup any phone in the house I do not get any dial tone.

What's weird is that even though both plugs are disconnected at the Qwest box, my other line, an old business line my employer pays for and is rarely used is still live and working...how can that be if I disconnected both plugs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mitch
Attachments
qwest-box.jpg
Qwest Box
qwest-box.jpg (77.52 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
#74742 by EA PA
Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:22 am
To be clear, yoou have the OOMA PHONE connection connected to the house wall jack correct? The only reason I mention this is that the OOMA WALL connection connected to the house wall jack wont work.

I notice you have 2 lines into house. Were both copper lines used? If so, is the phone you checked that had no dial tone on a splitter?
#74743 by southsound
Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:42 am
The employer's line is coming in in the white/green pair connected to the middle assembly. Some time ago, they started replacing the little modular cord with a swing-out affair that served the same purpose. That is what you see inbetween the two modular jacks. As long as that line is on the green/white pair and you are not paying for it, I'd leave it be.

As to why the phones are not working, see EA PA's post above mine as a starting place.
#74745 by mitchel
Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:58 am
EA PA wrote:To be clear, yoou have the OOMA PHONE connection connected to the house wall jack correct? The only reason I mention this is that the OOMA WALL connection connected to the house wall jack wont work.

I notice you have 2 lines into house. Were both copper lines used? If so, is the phone you checked that had no dial tone on a splitter?

EA PA: Let me try to answer your questions.

The jack behind the Telo labeled "Phone" is connected to the Jack in the wall labeled HOME. The other jack right next to it is labeled WORK and that is were my work line is connected.

As far as both copper lines being used...sorry but I don't understand what that means. There is one cable going into the wall jack that has two female modular plugs. I removed the wall plate and from that main cable there is a green wire and a green/white striped wire going to one side of the jack and a blue wire and a blue/white striped wire going to the other jack.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Mitch
#74748 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:12 pm
Other than the business line, looks like you had 2 different lines going into the house hence some wall plates are for the 1 line and some wall plates are for for the other.

In order to connect all the wall plates together (excluding the business line wall plates), I'd get the blue wire off the top screw terminal and connect it to the screw terminal where the orange lines are connected to and get the white with blue stripe wire off the top screw terminal and connect it to the screw terminal where the white with orange stripe lines are connected to. Once you do this, all the wall plates (excluding the business line wall plates) will be connected together.
#74749 by EA PA
Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:23 pm
A few questions

You have a single wall plate with 2 female modular connectors, one labeled HOME and one labeled WORK?

When you take off the wall plate, you see a G/GW pair connected to the connector labeled WORK and the B/BW pair connected to the HOME connector?

When you connected OOMA to the wall plate, you connected it into the HOME connector?

You tested for a dial tone by picking up one of your home phones and found no dial tone?
#74751 by mitchel
Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:40 pm
I would like to thank everyone for the help...I think it's awesome that all of you are so willing to jump in and assist total strangers!!!

lbmofo...your suggestion fixed the problem, all is well now. :D

Once again...thanks everyone!

Mitch