Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#74702 by timmartin
Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:24 pm
I set up and activated ooma by plugging in the telo to my airport extreme router/wifi-ap. After it was all working (in just a few minutes!) i wanted to swap it and put it before the router. That means I needed to configure it to log in with PPPoE credentials. I put all the info in, set it to pppoe, and power cycled it. It blinks the lights in a variety of ways, and finally settles on flashing the top three (brightness, volume, page) on and off while some of the other lights stay on, others stay off.

I'm not getting any feedback other than it's not working and the setup pages say it's not connected. How can i see if it's password problems or some other issue?

Before anyone suggests it, no, i can't put the pppoe settings in the modem as my setup doesn't have a modem. I'm connected directly to a radio transceiver so the router (or telo) has to be responsible for pppoe
#74703 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 pm
Where is the Telo getting internet from?
#74704 by timmartin
Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:45 pm
lbmofo wrote:Where is the Telo getting internet from?

I'm not sure I understand your question, since I thought it was clear from my post. But here, perhaps this will clarify the setup.

When I set it up originally (and the only way it works):

Radio > Airport Extreme (WAN port)
Airport Extreme (LAN switched port) > Telo (internet port)

But in order to get the QoS to work, i tried the "suggested" setup:

Radio > Telo (internet port)
Telo (home network port) > Airport Extreme (WAN port)
#74705 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:01 pm
Sorry, I may still be confused by your term "radio." Telo can only take in hardwired internet. What is Telo's "To Internet" port connected to? What device is this "Radio?"
#74715 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:16 am
timmartin:
When you say "Radio" do you mean Modem?

What probems were you having with the Ooma device placed behind (on the LAN side of) your router?
Most people can place their router behind an Airport Extreme without any QoS problems at all.

You can also search this forum from the Index Page for the word "airport". You will find many different ways to setup the Airport Extreme.
#74722 by timmartin
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:41 am
It's a fixed wireless radio. Not a modem. I do not have a hard line were I live. No phones, no power and no cable. The bandwidth and quality of my service supports VoIP.

My QoS issue when the telo was on the LAN (after the router) was that I use VPN and often download large files and the audio will get choppy when that's happening. I want the telo to be able to throttle my other activity to assure good call quality.
#74726 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:14 am
timmartin:
Try This:
a. Access your Ooma Telo “Home port” by plugging in a network cable from the Ooma Telo home port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the network cable, so that a proper connection occurs. (If you have your Router and computer behind the Ooma device, you can skip to step b.)
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Network Settings” select the down arrow and select "Automatic":
e. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
f. Select the “Update button”.
g. Do a cold boot of you Radio/Modem.
g. After the Radio/Modem is done booting, Do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device.
h. After the Ooma device cold boot has finished, do a “cold boot” of the Router.

Note: You may not be able to use your VPN, when it is routed through the Ooma device.
#76242 by timmartin
Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:41 am
None of this works.

Is there any way to get a log of the PPPoE login attempts to see the error messages I might be getting?
#76244 by thunderbird
Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:38 am
timmartin wrote:None of this works.

Is there any way to get a log of the PPPoE login attempts to see the error messages I might be getting?

Connect a computer directly to you Radio/Modem with a network cable. Make sure the computer can access the Internet by trying http://www.Google.com in your browser.

Click on your computer's "Start" button and click on "Run". Type in "cmd" and enter. A DOS window opens. After the C:\ type ipconfig and copy down the IP Address number, Subnet Mask number, & Defult Gateway number.

Disconnect the computer from the Radio/Modem and connect the Ooma device with a network cable. Access the Ooma setup page using a computer connected to the Ooma device's "Home" port with a network cable, using http://172.27.35.1

Click on "Network" at the left hand side. Behind "Network Connection" click on the down arrow and select "Automatic". (Your could try PPPoE, but try automatic first.)
At "Static IP Options", "IP Address" type in the IP address you recorded above. At "Netmask" type in Subnet mask number from above. At "DNS Server 1" and "Router address" type in defult gateway number.

Reboot your Radio/Modem, than the Ooma device, etc.

After the reboots go to the Ooma Setup page and click on "Status" on the left hand side. Under Netowrk, compare the "Modem's" IP address to the one that was recorded above.