Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#74682 by rrands1
Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:45 pm
I have a home network that is wired and wireless, but am out of wired ports. The only phone jack I have near a wired port is the port for my network printer.

So my setup is Internet -> Router -> Telos -> Printer. The problem is that the printer needs to be on the 192.168.1.x network, but on that side of the Telos, it gets a 172.16 address, so my computers on the network don't see it. Is there a way to assign it an IP (like 192.168.1.200) and have the Telos pass the traffic on instead of being a DHCP server?

Thanks!

-randy
#74686 by rrands1
Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:27 pm
Hi - thanks for the reply - I did see that, the last suggestion there (creating overlapping scopes for the DHCP) did not work for me - the Telos seems to ignore the settings in the DHCP setup area (not sure if it's because I am on the same network or not), and so it still hands out DHCP addresses in the orignal range, even though the settings are changed.

I would like to accomplish this without buying a switch, if possible. Running 2 lines over the same ethernet cable won't work for me since I am out of ports on my router... :(

Any further suggestions, or maybe an idea on why the overlapping scopes on the DHCP is not working?

-randy
#74920 by nextbond
Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:51 pm
if your printer has ethernet or is wireless, why not have it connect to your router instead of the ooma to get you 192.168.x.x address via DHCP?

I have a officejet 6500 configured this way
#74938 by tommies
Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:06 pm
rrands1 wrote:Hi - thanks for the reply - I did see that, the last suggestion there (creating overlapping scopes for the DHCP) did not work for me - the Telos seems to ignore the settings in the DHCP setup area (not sure if it's because I am on the same network or not), and so it still hands out DHCP addresses in the orignal range, even though the settings are changed.

I would like to accomplish this without buying a switch, if possible. Running 2 lines over the same ethernet cable won't work for me since I am out of ports on my router... :(

Any further suggestions, or maybe an idea on why the overlapping scopes on the DHCP is not working?

-randy

If you do not want to buy a switch, you have only one option: moving the telo in front of the router, that is placing the telo between the modem and the router.

If you want to have the telo behind the router, you need a switch. It can be done with an old 10TX base switch/hub (or the cheapest you can buy.) for the printer and the telo.

For your other question, it won't work not just the telo but even for others brand name routers (for home users.) The one that work belong in the enterprise class and very very expensive.