Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#74493 by Morac
Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:10 pm
I currently have Comcast's voice service. Prior to activating the Ooma device I plugged it in and got the red blinking symbol (obviously). In that state if I plugged the phone jack out from my eMTA (cable modem with voice) into the "wall" port of the Ooma and then hooked my phones to the "phone" port on the Ooma, I could use make and receive calls using my Comcast number. All was good.

I activated the Ooma device and choose that I wanted to port and use a temporary number. The reason I did this is I want to try out the Ooma before going through the port process in case I have problems with it. My assumption was that after activating, all outgoing calls would use my Ooma number, but I'd still be able to receive incoming calls to my Comcast number since the Comcast modem was connected to the wall jack. Well it turns out that that doesn't work. Once activated, the Ooma appears to shut off the "wall" port.

While I do have 2 line wiring in the house and could hook up the Ooma as "line 2", my phones don't support that so that's not an option. Right now I have my phones hooked up to my Comcast number. I have a spare wired phone hooked up to the Ooma, but that's not very convenient to get to.

Is there some way to do what I want, which is use the Ooma for outbound calls with the phones in my house, but still have my home phones ring if I get a call to my Comcast number?
#74496 by southsound
Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:25 pm
First off, welcome to ooma and to the forum!

It will be easy to do what you want to do. Just call forward all calls on your comcast number to the new ooma temporary number. Then, plug the cable that now sends dialtone from your eMTA into your ooma PHONE port. You will be able to test both incoming and outgoing calls with the ooma and will have dialtone throughout the house. Only downside is that outgoing calls will have your ooma temporary CID until the port goes through.

(sorry for the duplicate answer - some people type faster than this raccoon.)
#74497 by Morac
Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:54 pm
I'm not sure I want to forward my Comcast calls to Ooma until I see how reliable it is. I've only been using it for less than an hour and I've already found a few problems. The largest one of is which if the Ooma is disconnected from network and I call it, I get a busy signal instead of going to voice mail (or forwarding to a number if I set that up).

That's one of the reasons I wanted to keep them separate.
#74498 by murphy
Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:57 pm
It takes around 5 minutes for the Ooma servers to realize that your Ooma box has gone missing.
They are not in constant communication when a call is not in progress.
Try your test again but wait at least 5 minutes after you disconnect the Ooma box before you run the test.
#74510 by Morac
Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:34 pm
murphy wrote:It takes around 5 minutes for the Ooma servers to realize that your Ooma box has gone missing.
They are not in constant communication when a call is not in progress.
Try your test again but wait at least 5 minutes after you disconnect the Ooma box before you run the test.

It took about 30 minutes but it finally worked. I don't like how callers get a busy signal during that entire time since with Comcast it goes directly to voice mail the moment my modem goes offline. I guess it won't happen often enough to cause a problem.

Now if I could just get the voice mail page to work. I keep getting "Service temporarily unavailable. Please try again." when trying to play voice mails. I also can't download them either on my PC or iPhone.