Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#74464 by Glacier
Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:18 am
I did not choose to port my number over during set up but if all goes well for a few weeks I would like to. Do you have to disconnect the wiring from the phone company for the lines in the house to work on the existing phones?
#74468 by murphy
Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:48 am
Glacier wrote:I did not choose to port my number over during set up but if all goes well for a few weeks I would like to. Do you have to disconnect the wiring from the phone company for the lines in the house to work on the existing phones?

Yes, otherwise you would be feeding the Telo's output back to the phone company.
The Ooma was not designed to handle a load like that.
The phone company could listen to your conversations.
#74472 by Glacier
Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:03 am
Thanks... probably not possible to do right now due to the snow drifts. Also, I'm not sure I am comfortable doing this - may have to get brave! Or just get a phone system with several handsets.

If I do not hook up to the wiring can I still send a FAX?
#74481 by Charlie_D
Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:32 am
Glacier wrote:I did not choose to port my number over during set up but if all goes well for a few weeks I would like to. Do you have to disconnect the wiring from the phone company for the lines in the house to work on the existing phones?

Here is a source of some good information on home phone wiring, just disregard the system they are selling,

http://www.vonage-forum.com/home-wiring ... guide.html