Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#5162 by lromero314
Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:47 pm
I've connected my Ooma behind my firewall and opened the ports specified and the tab on the Ooma hub is blue but the 'Play' button keeps blinking. I click on it and it starts playing a message but never ends and does not let me delete it.
Most importantly, when I place a call I can hear what the person on the other end is saying but they cannot hear me. Here's the access-list used in my pix for allowing my Ooma device:

access-list acl_outbound line 7 permit udp host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx any eq 1194 (hitcnt=1)
access-list acl_outbound line 8 permit udp host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx any eq 3480 (hitcnt=8)
access-list acl_outbound line 9 permit udp host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx any eq syslog (hitcnt=4)
access-list acl_outbound line 10 permit udp host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx any range 49000 50000 (hitcnt=
0)
access-list acl_outbound line 11 permit tcp host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx any eq https (hitcnt=0)

I see no hits on the 49000 to 50000 ports. What am I missing? These are all the documented ports needed but the ooma hub only works to receive the voice!
#5176 by murphy
Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:33 am
Disable your outbound firewall and see if it works in that configuration. If it does then there is something else that needs to be open. If it doesn't then you have a more basic problem.
#5232 by Bobby B
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 am
Those firewall rules look correct -- I'd first try what Murphy suggests, and just add a allow IP all rule just from the Hub's IP address (assuming xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the Hub IP), ex:

access-list acl_outbound line 12 permit ip host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx any

Once you've confirmed the above is working, let's try to figure out if there's a rule we're missing.

After you've confirmed the above works, send me a note and I can provide some instructions on setting up a packet capture on your PIX.

BTW, what PIX model and version do you have - a 501 with 6.3?

-Bobby
#5467 by lromero314
Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:49 am
I'm using a PIX 506E with IOS 6.3.5. I've currently placed Ooma in front of the firewall and works just fine. I'm wondering if there are any missing ports that needed to be opened. I'll test again when I have some time and report my findings.