Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#73950 by Tufflaw
Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:35 pm
Hello - just got my Ooma in the mail and was very excited about setting it up, now it's turned to frustration. I've tried different combinations but every time I lose internet connection.

My computer is set up like this: Computer -> Router (Linksys WRT54GS) -> Cable modem (Motorola SBV5222 through Optimum Online) -> Cable

I tried the following configurations:

Computer -> Router -> Ooma's home network port -> Cable modem (connected to Ooma's internet port)
Computer -> Router -> Ooma's internet port -> Cable modem (connected to Ooma's home network port)
Computer -> Ooma's home network port -> Cable modem (connected to Ooma's internet port)

Every time I lose internet connection, I've tried resetting the computer with no luck. When I hook it back up the original way it works fine. Any suggestions?
#73953 by thunderbird
Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:03 pm
When setting up your system, always start from the Internet (WAN), than Modem, etc.

Connect Modem Port to Router WAN port. Router LAN port to Ooma Internet Port. Connect nothing in Ooma home port.
---OR---
Or Connect Modem Port to Ooma Internet Port. Ooma Home port to router WAN port.

Something else that adds stability:
a. Temporarily access your Ooma Telo “home port” by plugging in a patch (network) cable from the Ooma Telo home port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the patch cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
e. Select the “Update button”.
f. Do a "cold Boot of the Modem.
g. Do a “cold boot” of the Router or Ooma device, which ever device is next in line.
h. After the router or Ooma cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Router or Ooma device, whichever device is next in line.

Remember one last thing. The first time you start the Ooma Telo, the firmware has to be loaded. The firmware download can take up to an hour. So the next time you have things connected, wait for up to an hour.
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
#73954 by Tufflaw
Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:03 pm
Leeway wrote:Modem into router

Router into PC

Ooma "To Internet" into router

That's what I have !!!

Tried it, no luck. I get the four blue lights on the bottom going to the right for a minute, then I get the three blinking lights on top and the other lights are all on.
#73956 by nn5i
Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:21 pm
Sounds to me as if your router isn't configured to provide DHCP services to devices (Ooma and PC) connected to its LAN switch ports.

Connect modem to incoming cable.

Connect router's WAN port to modem's output.

Connect PC and Telo to two of router's LAN ports. For the Telo, use its "to Internet" port to connect to the router.

Power up the modem.

Power up the router.

Power up the PC.

Using the PC, make sure the router is providing DHCP services.

Power up the Telo.

Pop open a cool one.
#73966 by Tufflaw
Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:18 pm
I AM SOOOO DUMB

I hate to throw myself under the bus like this, but apparently I was using the wrong cable to try to connect the Ooma to the cable modem, I was using the phone cable, not the network cable.

Used the right cable, everything seems to be working now, all the lights are solid blue and the logo in the middle is solid blue, so I believe it's updating.

I suck.

By the way, I'm porting my current number, so with the setup now when you call my old number it still rings because it's still connected to the cable modem. Am I correct in assuming that when the number is ported all I need to do is unplug the phone from the cable modem and reconnect to the Ooma? Thanks!
#73975 by Leeway
Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:48 pm
Don't be so hard on yourself. We are all entitled to a "DUH" now and then !!! I'm sure we are all happy that your lights are all blue and you are happy.

I don't know who your current phone account is with but, if possible see if you can forward all of your calls from there to your Ooma number until your port is complete.

Donna
#73976 by Tufflaw
Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:55 pm
Thanks for the encouragement! And also for the great idea - but I don't know my Oom number - when I signed up I indicated I would be forwarding my old number so it lists that number as my Ooma number.
#73977 by Leeway
Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:05 pm
Tufflaw wrote:Thanks for the encouragement! And also for the great idea - but I don't know my Oom number - when I signed up I indicated I would be forwarding my old number so it lists that number as my Ooma number.

Go to "My Ooma" and look at your acccount.....

Donna
#73980 by murphy
Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:11 am
Tufflaw wrote:Thanks for the encouragement! And also for the great idea - but I don't know my Oom number - when I signed up I indicated I would be forwarding my old number so it lists that number as my Ooma number.

You appear to be in landline integration mode. Do you use your Comcast phone number to log into your my.ooma.com account?
If you do, connect a phone cable from the Comcast cable modem's phone port to the Wall port of the Ooma box. All phone calls will come through the Phone port of the Ooma box.