Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#73945 by java8964
Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:53 am
Hi,

I am new to OOMA and waiting for my number to be ported. Meantime, I did some research about distribution OOMA in my house. I need this since I have 3 kids. :D My understanding is that after the number is ported and my current land line phone service terminated, I have to physical disconnect the phone line from the telephone company to my house first.

Currently I am using Verizon FIOS, with the phone service. I try to do some research since this will be the first time for me to open the NIB (Network Interface Box) outside of my house. I found this web link is very help. http://www.vonage-forum.com/home-wiring-installation-guide.html. I read it 3 times. Unfortunately, when I opened my NIB, I found out my box does NOT look exactly as that website describes as the normal house NIB. I attached a picture of my box here.

t1.jpg
Picture of NIB
t1.jpg (185.65 KiB) Viewed 3119 times

My questions are:

1) Will it be enough to disconnect the phone line connection 1 shown in the picture (Connecting with green and red lines)
2) If so, I found out that there is no place for me to unplug this line easily as the above web link described. I have to just unplug both lines (green and red) only out from the jack marked as "TR". Is that right?
3) If my assumptions in 1) and 2) are correct, what I plan to do is following: Unplug both lines (green and red) from phone connection 1, take some black plastic electrical tape and wrap the ends of both green and red lines, and leave the written notes both inside and outside of the NIB to notify telephone company DO NOT plug these phone lines back. Is that enough changes for this NIB?
4) After that, I will connect the phone jack of my OOMA Telo to one of the wall phone jack. That should make the OOMA phone available for any other wall phone jack in my house, right?

Thanks for any suggestion or correction you can give.
#73946 by southsound
Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:09 pm
java8964 wrote: My questions are:

1) Will it be enough to disconnect the phone line connection 1 shown in the picture (Connecting with green and red lines)
Yes.
2) If so, I found out that there is no place for me to unplug this line easily as the above web link described. I have to just unplug both lines (green and red) only out from the jack marked as "TR". Is that right?
Yes, again. Looks like the little clear plastic piece will swing up to release the wires.
3) If my assumptions in 1) and 2) are correct, what I plan to do is following: Unplug both lines (green and red) from phone connection 1, take some black plastic electrical tape and wrap the ends of both green and red lines, and leave the written notes both inside and outside of the NIB to notify telephone company DO NOT plug these phone lines back. Is that enough changes for this NIB?
Yes.
4) After that, I will connect the phone jack of my OOMA Telo to one of the wall phone jack. That should make the OOMA phone available for any other wall phone jack in my house, right?
Exactly.

And lest we forget our manners, welcome to ooma and to the forum!

Thanks for any suggestion or correction you can give.